scottcolbath

AMA Mile in Prescott last May.

S.C.

cpasley

scottcolbath

Quote from: Chris Pasley on July 07, 2010, 11:10:49 PM
I really enjoyed those Scott

Thanks, how about these?

I've been pulling old pics off my POS Windows PC and loading them on my 27" iMac for a second look. It's been interesting.

S.C.

Stephen Marshall

A couple from tonight. I was driving back to Tucson from Phoenix and was passing Red Rock around Sunset.

-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

BillOz

Nice Lightning Kaspar,

I've been eagerly awaiting the Monsoon Lightning, but so far we haven't gotten anything to photograph .  Maybe this weekend.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Jbong

My 1 question is how do you know when it will strike? Is there a proper setting to getting lighting?

BTW very nice picture indeed.

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Jbong on July 10, 2010, 03:50:02 PM
My 1 question is how do you know when it will strike? Is there a proper setting to getting lighting?

BTW very nice picture indeed.

Jason, that's actually TWO questions!  The answer to your first question; you watch the weather report on the news, they'll tell ya when the lightning will strike.   ;D
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jbong

LMAO... Ok I  know when the weatherman says lightning is coming how do you know when to push the shutter. I mean lighting is kinda fast... And what are good settings for this.

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Jbong on July 10, 2010, 04:14:29 PM
LMAO... Ok I  know when the weatherman says lightning is coming how do you know when to push the shutter. I mean lighting is kinda fast... And what are good settings for this.

Um, when it comes to lightning, you just kinda push the shutter button and hope for the best.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jay Beckman

Generally speaking:
- Long-ish Shutter Speeds
- Very Small Apertures

Pick a time of day where shooting 30-45s @ f/22 works and you can just hold the shutter open with a cable release.

You can also cover the front of the lens between bolts with a black card or dark basecall cap (no holes!) and leave the shutter open even longer.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

BillOz

The Lightning shot I took in the message linked to below was shot at F11, for 15 seconds.  Others I shot were usually at F8 to F13.  All at ISO 100.
Just set up on a tripod, aim at where the Lightning is, and keep taking long (2-30 second) shots, depending on how many bolts you want in a shot.

http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=188.msg1321#msg1321
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: FlyingPhotog on July 10, 2010, 04:55:40 PM

You can also cover the front of the lens between bolts with a black card or dark basecall cap (no holes!) and leave the shutter open even longer.

You just have to know when the next strike will happen.  ;D

I have caught a couple strikes thanks to my cat-like reflexes, but my best success is night shots with long shutter openings.

S.C.

redsox223

Speaking of cats, being home means I get more time with the family pets