Happy Fourth of July!

The Rocket's Red Glare

The Bombs Bursting in Air
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jbong

Matt, that is a amazing shot. Very nicely done. If you dont mind what were your settings? did you use the 150-500mm

Chris V

Nice shots Matt!

Hoping to get some fireworks shots myself tonight.

Jason try ISO100, F/11 anywhere from 4 to 30sec with a tripod & cable release.

Jay Beckman

Likewise...

We're heading over to Airport Drive at CHD down toward the T-Hangar end along the fence on the east side of the street.

Fireworks will be to the N and W at Tumbleweed park.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

BillOz

Those turned out nice Matt.

Prior to the fireworks starting, be sure to focus on something at about the same distance as where the fireworks will be, and then turn off AutoFocus, otherwise, your camera may do a lot of searching for focus when taking the shots.

Cable release, Ah ha, what's that? 
Just kidding, last year I didn't have a remote and had to stand there for 1/2 hr. continuously pressing the shutter button each 5-10-20 seconds.  This year I have the remote.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Jay Beckman

A couple from tonight's show in Chandler.  Didn't get the A+ location so I went tight and "abstract."  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hope everyone had a safe and fun 4th!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Paul Dumm

Jay, Did you get an aircraft going by in the last one. It's in the top third blinking light.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jay Beckman

Yup, I guess I did...  ;D

Had about four or five departures off CHD just prior to the display going off.  That "message" plane with the lights under the fuselage made a couple circles of Tumbleweed Park around 815pm.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

BillOz

Jay, For not having the A+ location, they turned out quite nice.

Here are a couple from Tempe Town Lake.
The first one has a plane coming thru to land at Sky Harbor.  Those passengers had quite the view.
Exposure info. 95 mm, ISO 100, 8 sec., f16
Second pic. 95 mm, ISO 100, 4 sec., f11
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Chris V

cpasley

Great work guys ,I didnt know firework pics could come out so good and cant even wrap my head around the dynamics of taking them

Matt Ottosen

Thanks guys, my shots are from a couple of years ago (last time I shot fireworks).

Here are the settings I used that night:

Exposure: 5 sec
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 200

I was on manual and used a remote.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jay Beckman

Mine from this year danced around 8s @ f/11 ISO 100 and I was probably around 150mm or so using a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS with IS off.

The key is a solid tripod (I even hung a sandbag off mine and still got some "wiggles" .. I really need a Gitzo 3-series!) and I find using a shutter release cable to be a lot easier than self timer or manually pressing the shutter.

I actually stood behind my camera and sort of "eyeballed" which bursts would fall in the frame and which would not based on how they had the morters arranged.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Stephen Marshall

I had a horrible time with the "wiggles" on the 4th. I was even using a remote and had trouble, though I do have a fairly cheap tripod.
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

bilwor

bill word
Tucson, AZ