Lightning, Stars, Natural Phenomena

Started by BillOz, August 28, 2009, 11:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillOz

Here's some Monsoon Lightning, shot from Willie G, looking towards the 202, a year ago.  Haven't had much to shoot this year.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

BillOz

Here's a 1.5 hr. exposure of the Big Dipper, and a Cactus.  Look at only one set of endpoints of the seven bright stars in the middle, right above the Cactus, and you can easily see the Big Dip.
Bill Osmun

BillOz

Another spectacular Bolt
Bill Osmun

coyote41

Sorry this is not a helo.
Colin Williams

jslugman

Having been in England for the past 3 years it was a great joy to see a real honest-to-goodness lightning storm. And I really like your "not a helo" shot!  ;D

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

BillOz

Colin & James,

Both of those are very cool shots.

Here is my latest from two nights ago, with Mesa's own Red Mountain in the foreground.
Bill Osmun

Matt Ottosen

Alright, I'll play along.  This is the first bolt of lightning I ever caught.  This is from Papago Park (Hunt's Tomb) looking north west.  You can see the two towers from the old Tower Plaza right in the center.  This photo was featured on Good Evening Arizona (KTVK Channel 3 Evening News) on Monday, July 24, 2006 and is also licensed with Getty Images.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

BillOz

Bill Osmun

CJPalmer

How about some more stars. Billions and billions of stars.
The Andromeda Galaxy, the farthest one can see with the unaided eye at over 2 million light years away.

BillOz

Now maybe I lost count once or twice, but I probably also counted some more than once, but I come up a few short of Billions and Billions, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  There's certainly a lot.

Very nice.  Was that with a std. camera lens, or with a camera adapted to a telescope?
Bill Osmun

CJPalmer

It was a standard lens piggy backed on top of a telescope for tracking.

jslugman

Oh I do like stars. Very nice CJ.

One of my first aurora photos but I love this one for the Pleiades cluster to the right of center.

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

BillOz

James,

That is a very nice photo.    Where was that taken, and what time of year?  Any idea on exposure info for it?
Bill Osmun

John S

Not the best of pictures but got these down in the new San Tan Valley (Queen Creek, Pinal County).  Camera was on a tripod on top of my truck with alot of wind so I think the truck was shaking a little

jslugman

Bill,

Not sure which photo you mean so I'll answer for both.

Lightning- Rancho Sahuarita looking south towards Fry's, 4SEP2009 20:56, ISO100, F5.6 for 5 seconds. Canon 40D 24-105mm f4 IS L @ 50mm, tripod, remote shutter release, mirror lock up.

Aurora- Flattop Trailhead above Anchorage, Alaska sometime in late fall 2002, Velvia 100F, push processed 2 stops, old Canon FTb QL, 50mm f1.8 lens @ f1.8 for 10 seconds. Crappy Velbon tripod, mechanical shutter release, manual mirror lockup. Old-school in every way... lol!

Auroras I know, lightning I don't. Learning something new every storm.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY