Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

David, That's a beautiful picture of a beautiful subject. Belated congratulations.  Perfect!

David Loera

You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

wingsnstuff

No, I was talking about you and the photo you posted of your little girl (pg 6).  I don't know how long ago you took the photo hence the belated congratulations.  That's a beautiful photo of your little girl.  Some of my favorite photos of my daughter was when she was a baby...she's 37 now. 

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Jay Beckman

Nice Flahrs...

(I'm using the NC pronounciation here)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

wingsnstuff

Thanks Jay.  I met an 80 year old Aunt of a close friend who maintains a 1.5 acre flower garden in her back yard that would rival any botanical garden I've ever visited.  The variety and colors were amazing.  These are just a few of the flowers.  The amazing thing is that she cares for the garden by herself.  I hope I'm that motivated when I'm 80.

Jay Beckman

I hope I'm that motivated come dinner time...   :D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

wingsnstuff

Man that looks like it's HOT!!!  Not something I'd want to be wearing very long in the Arizona heat,  Nice shot.

Jay Beckman

I was thinking to myself: "Man, we've come a long, long way from Marshall Dillon and Barney Fife..."
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Went way off the reservation on Friday night and headed down to Mill Avenue with another shooter for a little experiment.

Camera + Seamless + Minimal Lighting + Random Folks = One Night On Mill Avenue.

I'd love some feedback on this gallery as it's something I really enjoyed but was very foreign to me.

Thanks!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

wingsnstuff

Jay, those shots are awesome.  Very nicely done.

Rob Silliman

Quote from: FlyingPhotog on September 03, 2010, 11:38:10 PM
Went way off the reservation on Friday night and headed down to Mill Avenue with another shooter for a little experiment.

Camera + Seamless + Minimal Lighting + Random Folks = One Night On Mill Avenue.

I'd love some feedback on this gallery as it's something I really enjoyed but was very foreign to me.

Thanks!

I like the guy you did half off - in two separate pictures.

Why Black and white?

BillOz

Jay,

I like the concept of just randomly shooting people, but I think that having to ask them to pose, or even request permission, (otherwise you might risk a shot to the jaw), makes these look more posed than posed shots of people who are there for a portrait.  So in some ways that makes them kinda cool, being random, but then also seems kinda cheesy in another sense.   The people in them might like them, being for the whole experience, some guy on the street asking them to pose for a shot, makes people feel special even though it's just a guy on the street.  Kinda hard for me to put this into proper sense.

To get a feeling for what I'm saying, the one with the two girls posing to punch the guy.  This looks like a shot for a back to school clothes sale, at JCPenney, Target, or Walmart.

As for the look, I don't really like the way the background is 'shopped to be blown out.  Part of the posed commercial look.

Good to see the experimentation, and really like the randomness though.

Regards,
Bill
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

CJPalmer

That is a great set Jay! Very well done. Doing portraiture is something that I not the most comfortable doing, but I'm working on it.

Bill, you might be interested in Jay Maisel.   http://www.jaymaisel.com/fairfield/153-images/
He is a famous photographer that does a lot of work on the streets. Most of his shot are "found". Sometimes he asks them if he can take a photo, at which point it is a portrait, the rest is shot without the subject knowing he is photographing them. One the photos in the link is a blue lobby which he frequently photographs. I watch a video of him where he is taking a picture of this place and says that they run him off quiet often.