Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

My fine associates;

With the inspiration and encouragement from a fellow shooter, I started looking for an Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4 lens (1971 vintage) to use in combination with my Canon EOS 5D Mark III. This is a totally manual lens and requires an adapter to "screw" onto my 5D3. As luck would have it, Tempe Camera had a copy in their "used" cabinet that I picked-up for $60.00. The lens would have been generally used on the Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR back in the 1970's. Accordingly, it looks small on my 5D3. Nevertheless, the lens is built like a tank and has wonderful glass that renders images differently from modern lenses. In fact, this little bugger has a radioactive thorium glass element near the rear of the lens that gives it a "cool" factor  ;)

Today I received a lens adapter from Amazon and spent a little time experimenting with the combination. Here are a few simple images taken in my living room using the north facing window for my light source. Based on this initial trial, the darn lens worked like a champ on my 5D3. I'm a seriously happy boy and look forward to more experimentation. In total, I've got $70 USD tied up in this lens and adapter.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on May 23, 2015, 02:10:51 PM
My fine associates;

With the inspiration and encouragement from a fellow shooter from Texas, I started looking for an Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4 lens (1971 vintage) to use in combination with my Canon EOS 5D Mark III. This is a totally manual lens and requires an adapter to "screw" onto my 5D3. As luck would have it, Tempe Camera had a copy in their "used" cabinet that I picked-up for $60.00. The lens would have been generally used on the Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR back in the 1970's. Accordingly, it looks small on my 5D3. Nevertheless, the lens is built like a tank and has wonderful glass that renders images differently from modern lenses. In fact, this little bugger has a radioactive thorium glass element near the rear of the lens that gives is a "cool" factor - at least for me  ;)

Today I received a lens adapter from Amazon and spent a little time experimenting with the combination. Here are a few simple images taken in my living room using the north facing window for my light source. Based on this initial trial, the darn lens worked like a champ on my 5D3. I'm a seriously happy boy and look forward to more experimentation. In total, I've got $70 USD tied up in this lens and adapter.

Outstanding Jeff....  Looking forward to future images from this lens.  The older glass renders some wonderfully different images.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on May 23, 2015, 10:42:16 PM

Outstanding Jeff....  Looking forward to future images from this lens.  The older glass renders some wonderfully different images.

Thanks Anna. It certainly will be fun playing with this lens. Ultimately, I intend this lens to find a more permanent home on one of the Fuji X or Sony A7 bodies that I hope to acquire later this fall. Until then, it will be a hoot using it on my 5D3.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the above three images were all shot at f/2. When I tried it wide open (f/1.4) the images got a tad soft. But at f/2 it is plenty sharp. The main issue I've found with this combo involves the mirror. As you focus towards infinity, the rear lens element gets closer and closer to the mirror. It would appear I can't focus all the way to infinity; I have to back off just a tad. However, I anticipate that most of the subjects I shoot will be at close range and the potential infinity limitation will be a non issue. Thus far I compose and focus using the "Live View" mode on the LCD. In that setup, the mirror is in the lock-up position and focusing at infinity is not an issue. All that being said, I did not acquire this lens to shoot landscapes, so I don't think I'll need or want to focus at infinity anytime soon.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Plus one Jeff, the shallow depth of field is magical. The compositions are beautiful as one would expect from the Welkermeister. Interesting about the infinity focus. A friend of mine has encountered similar issues in some of his experimentation with lenses adapted to his 5D Mark II.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on May 24, 2015, 07:48:03 AM
Plus one Jeff, the shallow depth of field is magical. The compositions are beautiful as one would expect from the Welkermeister. Interesting about the infinity focus. A friend of mine has encountered similar issues in some of his experimentation with lenses adapted to his 5D Mark II.

Thanks Scott. I'll bring the lens to lunch with me on Tuesday for your perusal. Safe travels home sir.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Nice score Jeff. The only word I have for those shots is "classy".  ;D

S.C.

John Driscoll

Tower Guy

A very cool photo John, great composition and subject.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on May 25, 2015, 09:59:26 AM

+1 John, excellent work. Did you park in Lost Dutchman State Park to make this image? I was there on Saturday hiking the Siphon Draw trail - early morning. Some of my favorite country in the world right in our back yard.

Lastly, would you mind sharing some "EXIF" info on the photograph? I'm not very knowledgeable on astronomical photography and would appreciate your insights.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

+2 John! Have been wanting to give this kind of thing a try for years.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Near Ghost Ranch, NM
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

Beautiful landscape photo Scott, the folks back east that have never been out west really don't know what they are missing.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on May 25, 2015, 01:23:29 PM
Beautiful landscape photo Scott, the folks back east that have never been out west really don't know what they are missing.

+1 for me Scott. I suppose this is the very type of sky and landscape that caused Georgia O'Keeffe to leave Stieglitz, the 291 Gallery, and New York City  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

John Driscoll

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on May 25, 2015, 10:32:30 AM
Quote from: Tower Guy on May 25, 2015, 09:59:26 AM

+1 John, excellent work. Did you park in Lost Dutchman State Park to make this image? I was there on Saturday hiking the Siphon Draw trail - early morning. Some of my favorite country in the world right in our back yard.

Lastly, would you mind sharing some "EXIF" info on the photograph? I'm not very knowledgeable on astronomical photography and would appreciate your insights.

Thanks Jeff and Tower Guy.

Yes, that was just at the entrance to Lost Dutchman State Park at about 1am on Saturday.  Not sure if I was supposed to be there or not.  The illumination you see on the right is from the building at the entrance.

Nikon D750
Tamron 15-30 f2.8
ISO1000
19mm
f/2.8
15 sec.

Slight crop and, of course, Lightroom adjustments.

Scott Youmans

Thanks Harvey and Jeff! We visited Georgia O'Keeffe's home while we were there. As a former student of art and being married to an art teacher (and big fan of O'Keeffe) it was very interesting to see her home and learn more about her from the excellent tour guide. There is a lot to admire about her especially considering the era in which she began her carrer. Quite a trailblazer.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved