Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

File this under the heading of "aging shooter forgets his roots and how spoiled he has become shooting with modern camera/lens technology".

As I'm slowly learning, shooting tight head shots of the grandkids at f/2 is a tricky business - especially with my manual focus Super Tak lens. I missed on this image by a fraction and it is a tad soft. Gratefully, the impromptu pose saves the day. Grandson #1 is a stud to hang with Papa while I fumble turning the focus ring. His little sister is just a natural born poser. Now I just need to get my middle grandson to hold still for just a moment  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

LEARNING THE ROPES

A PJ from the 304th RQS trains a Marine from 1st Force Recon during high-angle rescue training on Mount Lemmon.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Joe Copalman on June 04, 2015, 08:59:00 PM
LEARNING THE ROPES

A PJ from the 304th RQS trains a Marine from 1st Force Recon during high-angle rescue training on Mount Lemmon.

Terrific photograph Joe. Where you likewise harnessed and hanging?

Clearly, I've been in a rut lately photographing my grandkids heads and testing my new/old Super Tak lens. Here are a couple from this afternoon. We'd just got chased off the Falcon Field park by a excellent thunderstorm and the youngsters were in a funk due to being confined indoors until the rain stopped. It gave me just enough time to catch them unawares...
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Joe Copalman on June 04, 2015, 08:59:00 PM
LEARNING THE ROPESA PJ from the 304th RQS trains a Marine from 1st Force Recon during high-angle rescue training on Mount Lemmon.
Great shot Joe, well executed use of selective focus.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Mike Margolis

Not much aviation stuff going on here of late... Wife and I have taken a few nature type trips over the last couple months. Last weekend we set out for Ramsey Canyon south of Tucson and had a great and relaxing time. I figured I'd try out some good glass and rented a 200mm f2 Canon lens. Wow!! I understand now just how amazing glass can be. I also understand why folks with an 8+ pound rig only lift it for the best shots! Hand holding a big lens while waiting for very skittish hummingbirds can get rather fatiguing. I also learned to appreciate a really shallow depth of field. Shooting comfortably in very low light was amazing! ~ This shot was after sunset, out our kitchen window ~

Kitchen Hummingbird Hover Shallow DoF-3566 by Mike Margolis, on Flickr
"Could be worse... Could be raining."

Scott Youmans

Wonderful shot Mike! Your observations are all very accurate!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Scott Youmans on June 07, 2015, 02:39:32 PM
Wonderful shot Mike! Your observations are all very accurate!

^^^^^ What Scott said....  +1

scottcolbath

Very nice Mike. That's some awesome detail.

S.C.

Scott Youmans

Fujifilm X-T1 up close - Shot with Nikon Df, 50mm f/1.2 and extension tube
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

What a terrific image using some wonderful Nikkor glass. Razor thin DOF and creamy bokeh.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jeff! I actually had it stopped down pretty far to get a little broader depth of field. EXIF shows f/8. It also says 55mm but that's in error due to the set up on the Df. The images shot more wide open were more extreme. I'll post one tomorrow.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Ned Harris

Peregrine Falcon In Pursuit, Del Mar, CA, 5/29/15.

_31A7738 Peregrine in pursuit by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Jeff D. Welker

Well done Vance. Sounds like a great event and a wonderful opportunity. Looking forward to more images.

Here are a couple of "macro" images I shot at lunch using my 5D3 and an Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens. I also added the #1 (shortest) M42 Pentax extension tube. I've never shot with extension tubes before and wanted to test this setup. Nothing special about the subject matter, just a couple of items handy to photograph. While this lens shoots wonderfully wide open at f/2, I had to close it to f/11 achieve a workable DOF (still small) for these macro shots. At f/2 the DOF is waaaaaay too thin. I like the results of this lens that was made over 40 years ago  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Thanks Jeff.  The macro shot is impressive.  Sometimes it takes lots of fiddling around to get the good shot.  Your results are stunning. 

Jay Beckman

As if the Corsair isn't already a handful...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com