Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

Super cool image! How'd you manage to get the cowboy in it?
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Bubak

Thank You James, one of the Navajo riders....

Dave S.

Made a little trek out towards the Superstitions last night, hoping to catch some cool lightning shots as the storm rolled through.  Here are some of the better ones I was able to capture.

- tweaked the last one a bit and reposted-
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Chris V

Nice ones Dave! We got nothing down here last night.

Dave S.

Chris - thanks.

I didn't get out there until about 10:20 last night, and it started pouring at about 10:22.  I finally packed it in just before 1:00, still some lightning - just too tired.  Needless to say that I slept in a little this morning, but my wife said there was still some lightning going on when she got up just before dawn.
www.roxphotography.com

Bubak

Jay Beckman

Very nice Dave. 

Let a brother know when you're headed out to shoot some scenery... ;D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Dave S.

Jay,

Was literally a last mnute thing last night.  Some friends were leaving our place last night, and that's when I saw the lightning off in the distance and in about the right direction.  Grabbed the camera and tripod and ran out the door.

I'm now out on tour with SJ.  Just landed in Seattle a few hours ago, headed to Burlington, and the bus just drove by Boeing Field.  Saw the LH 747-8 that recently paid a visit to KIWA a few weeks back, sitting out on the ramp.

Dave
www.roxphotography.com

Rob Silliman

Moonlight Photography @ Desert Botanical Gardens Sunday night

Jay Beckman

Very Cool Rob!  Is that an event they host?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Rob Silliman

Quote from: Jay Beckman on August 18, 2011, 12:10:22 AM
Very Cool Rob!  Is that an event they host?

Yes - the Moonlight Photography is something they do monthly, usually on the night of the full moon (so day of the week varies).

http://dbg.org/shop/courses/moonscape-photography-9-12-11

It is a guided class to specific areas of the garden that photograph best in the low/moon light.  Instructor provides tips and tricks to make the most of the conditions.

I will probably go back in October to take pictures of the new Big Bug sculptures that opens next month.

Jeff D. Welker

Friday, I took my Dad to the White Mountains so he could spend some time taking landscape images. Of course, I brought a camera along and got a few shots myself. The vast majority of the day was comprised of complete overcast skies with light to heavy rain. We did enjoy some sunshine in the morning; however, that changed rapidly as a serious monsoon storm quickly enveloped the entire region. As you can see, the Wallow Fire did not nuke everything.

Crescent Lake reflection...

Yearling Mule Deer...

Historic Phelps Cabin...

Rock Wall, Lichen, & Burnt Snag...
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Nice. I need to get out that way for some shooting.

S.C.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: scottcolbath on August 23, 2011, 01:45:32 PM
Nice. I need to get out that way for some shooting.

S.C.

Scott - Other than the areas where the fire left nothing but thousands of black poles pointing towards the sky, the White Mountains are as green right now as I seen in the past 10 years. Even in the areas of scorched earth, green grasses are already breaking throught the ash and creating a unique background to the black poles. The fire was truely mosiac in nature and there are as many places completely untouched as there was nuked.

As a side note, there are more elk, deer, antelope and other critters out in the open than I ever recall seeing in Arizona. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fire, but I saw two elk heards that easily exceeded 100 elksters each. Be advised, until the monsoon season is over there will be a high likelyhood of afternoon thunderstorms in this region. Something I enjoy but can make photography and Hyabusa driving difficult.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

For comparison purposes only.

I want to go back there and shoot again.

S.C.