15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: scottcolbath on August 01, 2011, 07:44:11 AM
Interesting stuff, but the guy seems to be a one-trick pony. Not much range in his work. But at least it's not 18 pages of over the top HDR images.  ;D

S.C.

I guess he is a one-trick pony - similar to a bunch of guys that only shoot airplanes  ;D 

Actually, he is a very versatile photographer in the UK that has become relatively famous for these particular images of the homeless in the London area. For whatever reason, he has chosen only to post these types of photos on Flickr - like you, I wish he also posted some of his other work. That being said, for me each one of these faces has a tremendous amount of uniqueness and variety. They seem to be telling a different story with each frame.

Regarding over-the-top HDR; isn't that what the world looks when you are doing 120 mph on SR-89 with a Hayabusa rocket strapped between your legs? I figured HDR just looked natural to crotch rocket pilots  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Brian Lockett

A used a Gigapan robotic camera mount to shoot 551 pictures that I assembled into this 317-degree panorama of ancient stone dwellings at Wupatki National Monument.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jeff Welker on August 01, 2011, 08:44:10 AM
I guess he is a one-trick pony - similar to a bunch of guys that only shoot airplanes  ;D 

Ha! I shoot airplanes, cars and motorcycles.  ;D

Actually, he is a very versatile photographer in the UK that has become relatively famous for these particular images of the homeless in the London area. For whatever reason, he has chosen only to post these types of photos on Flickr - like you, I wish he also posted some of his other work. That being said, for me each one of these faces has a tremendous amount of uniqueness and variety. They seem to be telling a different story with each frame.

The images are strong, and I do like his work. I just want more than the letter A in my vegetable soup.

Regarding over-the-top HDR; isn't that what the world looks when you are doing 120 mph on SR-89 with a Hayabusa rocket strapped between your legs? I figured HDR just looked natural to crotch rocket pilots  ;)

120? Feh. I'm just shifting into fourth gear and I have two more to go.  8) On the way up to Valle, I passed a giant conga line of cars who were being held up by one dork going about 50 MPH. I looked down for a moment and saw 135 MPH on the speedo, and I was still accelerating.

On a more serious note, stuff happens at those speeds which I really have no control over, so if I'm going to haul ass, I think it out before acting out. And on my key chain are three things which keep me somewhat sane when out riding. Two of them are chunks of fairings off of friends' Hayabusas who have crashed at high speeds. One of them died. The third item is a tiny vial containing a bit of my mom's ashes. These things are in my face on the entire ride and remind me that I always want to make it home to ride another day. So, while I may ride fast on occasion, I don't do it without considering the risk.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Brian Lockett on August 01, 2011, 09:41:59 PM
A used a Gigapan robotic camera mount to shoot 551 pictures that I assembled into this 317-degree panorama of ancient stone dwellings at Wupatki National Monument.

Nice shot. I love that place and plan on using my park pass to pay a visit this summer. I'll move on to Grand Falls via dirt just for grins, even though it's dry this time of year.

S.C.

Jeff D. Welker

Eric - I really like how the early morning light/shadow amplifies the textures and shapes of these dunes. I also like how the background mountains in silhouette create a wonderful backdrop to the front 2/3's of the image. Well done all the way around.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Bubak

Eric, I was 50 feet away....    ;D

jslugman

Family and I escaped the base to go to the park today, the monkey park that is. Also a scouting trip for when the snow falls in this valley filled with geothermal features that the monkeys frequent for a little warmth in the winter. Little crop @ 340mm on a 40D.

Japanese Snow Monkey by James O'Rear mmp0001 by James "JSlugman" O'Rear, on Flickr
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Chris V

Jay Beckman

I knew you'd get up (over? out? down?) there to see these little furry folks eventually...
Nice Shot!  Gonna go back when it's snowing?

Along the Beeline on day three of my drive home from Oshkosh:

Larger Over Black
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

jslugman

You bet Jay, there's already a trip scheduled for November. We lucked out that there were still little ones scampering about but it was bloody hot.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Bubak

Chris V