Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbong

Little Spotting today at KPHX

Jbong

Jbong

Jbong

I am not sure about this little Jem. I love how the light was nice for me but I things that the tail section with Reg is a little blurry.

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Jbong on August 13, 2010, 11:38:36 PM
I am not sure about this little Jem. I love how the light was nice for me but I things that the tail section with Reg is a little blurry.

Parallax Error ... The very nose and very tail are moving at different relative rates than center mass.

You usually see this when shooting prop-driven planes at slow shutter speeds (which I'm guessing you might have been at in evening / morning light?)

Example:  Notice how the engine area is sharp but the tail of the Cub isn't...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jbong

Yeah I did notice it. And thats a great exmaple. Is there a way to fix it or a diffrent technique?

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Jbong on August 14, 2010, 03:20:57 PM
Yeah I did notice it. And thats a great exmaple. Is there a way to fix it or a diffrent technique?

Only way I know for sure to mitigate the effect is to shoot more perpendicular to your subject.  Unfortunately, this leads to less interesting shots.

You might also try shooting from farther away with a longer lens because then the various parts are moving through a smaller arc and won't blur as much.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jbong

yeah I could have on at a angle but I was so excited to be this close with them flying right over me. I am going on friday again i am going to try a different angle.  And I  was using my largest lens. I only have a 55-200mm

Jbong

Ryan Keough

Hey everyone... Mr. Cutter came across these and had me scan them in.  Thought ya'll would get a kick out of them.  These were taken at the first PHX open house on April 13, 1985 and 66 balloons participated in the launch.  I have the permission of Bill Cutter to post these here... the entire story is at: http://hub.cutteraviation.com/bid/50120/Phoenix-Sky-Harbor-1985-You-ll-Never-See-This-Again

Getting ready to launch from the North Runway

Everyone in the air... take a look at some of the liveries on the ground, including two SWA Boeing 727s!
Ryan Keough
Tucson, AZ

cpasley

When I saw the second pic I seriously thought it was photo shopped cause there would be no way a hot air balloon would be allowed over Sky Harbor but then I saw the other and read the story ,just amazing ,an open house at Sky harbor ,ever since I moved here its been super busy so its hard to imagine it ever used to be like this after all this seems warm and fuzzy and a total 180 from how it feels now

Jay Beckman

The growth of Sky Harbor has not been a smooth upward slope. It was a pretty "sleepy" major airport until fairly recently when the operational pace began to grow exponentially.

There was a very strong GA presence at SH until only about five to seven years ago with flight schools and flying clubs based there.

Private pilot students used to do racetrack touch and goes in the early mornings or at night by landing on the north side, then flying left traffic to do it again on the south side.  Rinse .. Repeat.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com