Started by Joe Copalman, June 18, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Youmans

Older is Better - Sometimes
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Epic tale.  I ran into downpours like that twice during Angel Thunder, once up in Winslow and again out at Playas with Valinski.  Luckily we had some shelter at Playas, but with rain coming down during some of the more active portions of the scenario, I had no choice but to be out in it.  Definitely tricky shooting in the rain, especially with mud involved, but my gear held up awesomely. 

Looks like you guys had a great time down there in spite of the rain.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

KB-50J - The Nikon body help up well. Rinsing it off under the faucet didn't bother it at all. Good to know although in the future I'll be a little more careful.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Jeff, Really like your Skytrain photo. I begs to be seen in a larger format. The composition is great and the use of a tripod and top notch glass appear to have paid off in very sharp details. The light and wet surfaces really work well together.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on July 06, 2015, 09:58:29 PM
Jeff, Really like your Skytrain photo. I begs to be seen in a larger format. The composition is great and the use of a tripod and top notch glass appear to have paid off in very sharp details. The light and wet surfaces really work well together.

Thank you Scott. Getting some of those airframes wet from the rain really changes their "look" and (as you well know) added a whole new dimension to making photographs at PASM. We need to encourage John Bezosky and associates to add a "rain shoot" to our established "night shoot" photocall. It might not happen often, but when it did...    ;D

I really like the unique angle and framing you used on the KB-50J. The perspective you choose creates an echelon feel to those monster props that contrasts wonderfully against that massive shaft of rain in the background. I also like how you've extended the pano crop to capture the 'cool' silhouette of the Catalina Mountains and monsoon clouds. The overall quiet/wet look adds a whole new dimension to this historic tanker.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

OPEN WIDE

The venerable Takumar 50/1.4 at work again. I'm really enjoying this little gem of a lens.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Ooh la la.

I'm going to have to pick your brain on that lens.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Another Takumar 50mm f/1.4 shot. Thanks to Jeff for pointing me toward this novel little gem.  Of the old 50mm f/1.4 lenses it is definitely among the best.  I don't know that this photo necessarily used its particular characteristics to the max but it's what I had on the camera (Fuji X-T1) at the time.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on July 07, 2015, 09:26:22 PM
Another Takumar 50mm f/1.4 shot. Thanks to Jeff for pointing me toward this novel little gem.  Of the old 50mm f/1.4 lenses it is definitely among the best.  I don't know that this photo necessarily used its particular characteristics to the max but it's what I had on the camera (Fuji X-T1) at the time.

Wonderful image-making Scott. Your framing of this shot creates a very unique and interesting perspective of this airframe. BTW, normally I regret infecting others with peculiar habits. However, I'm glad I was able to peak your interest with the Takumars. That little tank looks terrific on your Fuji.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thank you Jeff. The Pentax infection has been fun and it really does suit the Fuji very well.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

KB-50J - A few minutes before the storm hit.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

ORGAN DONOR

A Boeing B-47 Stratojet airframe gets a "monsoon" respite from the summer heat.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Originally viewed this on my iPhone. Way more impressive and interesting on a large monitor. For some reason I always thought this hulk was another aircraft type but it sure is a B-47. Not a particularly common version I don't think. Maybe John can clue us in on what version it is. It always amazes me to see what was once a highly advanced front line aircraft just rotting away like this.  Fortunately there are a good number of B-47s preserved around the country including the very nice example at Pima.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on July 09, 2015, 11:50:37 AM
Originally viewed this on my iPhone. Way more impressive and interesting on a large monitor. For some reason I always thought this hulk was another aircraft type but it sure is a B-47. Not a particularly common version I don't think. Maybe John can clue us in on what version it is. It always amazes me to see what was once a highly advanced front line aircraft just rotting away like this.  Fortunately there are a good number of B-47s preserved around the country including the very nice example at Pima.

Thanks Scott. While I'm the least qualified AzAP member regarding aircraft identification, I also thought this might be a unique airframe. As seen in my photo below, it has two "glass" panels on the side of the nose cone. It has these on both sides. When I "Google" images of the B-47, the only examples I could find with that trait was the XB-47 prototype and a B-47 at Edwards with a very pointed nose (designation unknown). Of course, I have no confidence in any of these findings, but I'm hoping they spur John and others to offer correction and/or clarification.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Looks like its the second of ten B-47As (49-1901).  Sitting next to it is the B-45 Tornado (47-0063) nose I was thinking of.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved