Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

Started by Joe Copalman, June 18, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B.

Still not much excitement here, but here is this for now:

North American BT-14A par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

MuseumAndy

The museum's Boeing B-52D Startofortress is almost done being repainted.  There are just a "few" stencils left.

John B.

Joe Copalman

That B-52 is looking really nice.  Can't wait to see it back out on display.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

John B.

Jeff D. Welker

Hey John, if your looking for any input from the peanut gallery, I'd be happy to come down and discuss polished aluminum and an Edwards AFB scheme for your 52G  ;D ;) ;D ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

John B.

We'll save that for the third '52, Jeff!   :)

T-6 in black primer...  Looking really bizarre!

North American T-6G 49-2908 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

Jeff D. Welker

FAIREYCHROME

Another expression of my beloved Fairey AEW MK.3 Gannet
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

John B.

Your work with the Gannet is always impressive, Jeff!

Looking more T-6-like:

North American T-6G 49-2908 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

John B.

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Our brother Scott Youmans was kind enough to let me tag along on a trip to PASM. My hopes were to get some images with those classic Youmans monsoon thunderstorm backgrounds. It was an epic adventure that reinforced the old adage which teaches; 'mess with the bull, you get the horns'. While we got some nice background storm clouds, we also go the rain - in buckets. We were on the west perimeter when the rain hit somewhat unexpectedly and with authority. Initially, we hid under the sizable wing of a KB-50J and were doing a good job of staying dry until the storm quickly increased in intensity and the wind began to swirl with impressive velocity. No matter what we tried and where we hid, we were getting soaked. We moved from one large aircraft to another in the hopes of avoiding the worst of the storm - denied! Scott's Nikon D810 not only got hammered by the rain, it also got some grit/mud on it as we rushed for cover. I can only guess how much rain fell in the 30-45 minutes of the worst of the storm, but it definitely had to be in inches. Making our way to the PASM cafeteria building for refuge was no easy feat. Several "crossings" of heretofore unknown rivers/washes of moving water were required. In the end, Scott literally washed his Nikon under a stream of running water in the PASM cafeteria bathroom - thank goodness for weather seals.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on July 06, 2015, 11:29:39 AM
Our brother Scott Youmans was kind enough to let me tag along on a trip to PASM. My hopes were to get some images with those classic Youmans monsoon thunderstorm backgrounds. It was an epic adventure that reinforced the old adage which teaches; 'mess with the bull, you get the horns'. While we got some nice background storm clouds, we also go the rain - in buckets. We were on the west perimeter when the rain hit somewhat unexpectedly and with authority. Initially, we hid under the sizable wing of a KB-50J and were doing a good job of staying dry until the storm quickly increased in intensity and the wind began to swirl with impressive velocity. No matter what we tried and where we hid, we were getting soaked. We moved from one large aircraft to another in the hopes of avoiding the worst of the storm - denied! Scott's Nikon D810 not only got hammered by the rain, it also got some grit/mud on it as we rushed for cover. I can only guess how much rain fell in the 30-45 minutes of the worst of the storm, but it definitely had to be in inches. Making our way to the PASM cafeteria building for refuge was no easy feat. Several "crossings" of heretofore unknown rivers/washes of moving water were required. In the end, Scott literally washed his Nikon under a stream of running water in the PASM cafeteria bathroom - thank goodness for weather seals.

Sounds like a fun trip that will be legendary after a few tellings of the tale....   :)

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on July 06, 2015, 04:08:25 PM
Sounds like a fun trip that will be legendary after a few tellings of the tale....   :)

Absolutely legendary Anna  ;)  One of the upsides to shooting in the rain...

RADIAL REFLECTIONS

I shot this image (and numerous others) using my vintage Asahi Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lens mounted on my 5D3. While I learned the hard way that the Vello adapter does not create a reliable weather seal, it sure renders some interesting images when shooting at f/2.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ