In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

Historical Photos

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 24, 2015, 06:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on June 19, 2019, 04:12:56 PM
Beautiful set of photos Jeff. I may have been on the tower catwalk when these were shot.  ;D

Nay my friend.  You were still in swaddling clothes when these photographs were taken  ;D

A rare rainy day on the PHX AZ ANG ramp had dad out making photographs. The specific date of this image is unknown; however, I believe it is in the 1956 to 1957 timeframe. Ansco SuperPan Press Film, Graflex Speed Graphic USAF KE-12, Rodenstock Optar 135mm F/4 Lens.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Tower Guy

Love these photos Jeff, kudos to your father, he was an outstanding photographer with great access. Today you see most of these aircraft in museums. These aircraft were on alert.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on June 23, 2019, 10:13:38 AM
Love these photos Jeff, kudos to your father, he was an outstanding photographer with great access. Today you see most of these aircraft in museums. These aircraft were on alert.

Thanks Harvey.  Unfortunately, this Sabre did not go to a museum.  According to the record, on 26 JAN 1951 this F-86 was flying from Larson AFB and suffered an engine failure.  It crashed belly landing at Luke AFB and ended up in a cotton field nearby.  You can see the two ANG hangers in the background of image #2.  Contrary to the name on the canopy, the pilot was Joseph M Williams, who survived.  

Dad took the crash scene photos.  There was some damage on negatives v.1 and v.2 that will require further restoration.  Ansco SuperPan Press, Graflex Speed Graphic, Rodenstock Optar 135mm F/4 Lens, USAF KE-12

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

MANEUVERS - It is 1951 and dad's unit is going on "maneuvers". That is exactly the word that is written on the outside of the envelope wherein I found this negative. I don't know what that meant by the word "maneuvers" or where his unit was headed? No matter, I really like the look of this Delta DC-6.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

COPPERHEADS FLIGHT OPS DESK - Luke AFB, Arizona

I am especially fond of dad's military photographs that have members of his squadron included.  Nice to see these faces.  This image is from 1951.

Ansco SuperPan Press, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5, Rodenstock Optar 135mm F/4 Lens, USAF KE-12

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

These two P-48B's represent the first production version of the Thunderjet - 5th & 53rd respectively.  During the Korean War, the Arizona ANG (197th Fighter Squadron) was federalized and assigned to the Air Training Command. ATC equipped the unit with the P-84B Thunderjet and used it as a training squadron (197th PTS).  In February 1951, dad took this photograph of two P-84B's that had been transferred to Luke AFB from other squadrons.

I'm not sure why dad choose to photograph these particular airframes?  Unfortunately, on 7 Aug 1951 s/n 45-59550 crashed while landing at Luke AFB and the pilot was killed.  Less than two months later, on 2 Nov 1951, s/n 45-59501 also crashed while landing at Luke AFB.  Pilot's status unknown.

Ansco SuperPan Press, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5, Rodenstock Optar 135mm F/4 Lens, USAF KE-12

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Excellent photo and back story, even if it did have a tragic ending for both aircraft and crew. There has been a lot of sacrifices in aviation to get us to where we are today. God rest their souls.

Jeff D. Welker

10 JUN 1958 - Dad did some experimenting with infrared film when he photographed these two F-86L's on the ramp at Sky Harbor - you can see the old Terminal 1 tower in the background.  The primary effect was to turn the copper color banding on the nose white.  It also helped improve the sky contrast.  This is an 8x10 crop of a 6x6 negative.  I'm uncertain what camera dad used in making this image.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Several old 'Dogs' standing alert duty on the Sky Harbor National Guard ramp in 1959.  They look tired and were soon to be replaced with the Lockheed F-104.  As a side note, Sabre 53-0828 (third in line) was written off after a hard landing on 11 May 1960.  This is an 8x10 crop of a 6x6 negative.  I'm uncertain what camera dad used in making this image.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Paul Larson

Amazing photography, processing and Arizona aviation history. A really fantastic series Jeff.

Matt Ottosen

Jeff, these photos are just awesome!  Please keep them coming.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Matt Ottosen on July 02, 2019, 01:26:40 AM
Jeff, these photos are just awesome!  Please keep them coming.

Quote from: Paul Larson on June 29, 2019, 08:23:23 PM
Amazing photography, processing and Arizona aviation history. A really fantastic series Jeff.

Thanks gentlemen.  Dad took this photo of his good friend Col. Russ Hall of the Arizona Army National Guard.  Col. Hall and dad were taking a break from flying to practice their pistol shooting skills.  Dad loved flying in the L-19's because they could land just about anywhere.  35mm Kodak Plux X Pan Film.  Camera/lens unknown.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

ENLISTED MESS 1950 - Luke AFB. A spartan and completely utilitarian facility. From a military viewpoint, appropriate for those assigned to eat here. Not only did dad eat here often, but when his parents and brother were living on base, one of these tables is where they gathered for the evening family meal. As you might imagine, the officers dining would be considered elegant by comparison. A scan of that negative will come in the future.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Very cool photo Jeff, notice the ashtrays on every table. Back then it was probably a very smokey place at meal time.

Chris Kennedy

Great shots, Jeff!

In the Sky Harbor Sabers photo there's one in the far background along the fence with an interesting paint scheme.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission