15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Historical Photos

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 24, 2015, 06:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave S.

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on January 28, 2018, 11:07:13 PM
Jeff,

Hoping you will post some more historical photos from your father's collection soon...

Here here and dilly dilly, Anna is not the only one enjoying these historical photos.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Dave S. on January 29, 2018, 12:28:26 PM
Quote from: Anna M. Wood on January 28, 2018, 11:07:13 PM
Jeff,

Hoping you will post some more historical photos from your father's collection soon...

Here here and dilly dilly, Anna is not the only one enjoying these historical photos.

Thank you Dave.  Here are a couple of photos of my Uncle Sam from WWII.  The first was taken during some training he had in Florida.  The second was taken with his beloved P-40.  The same airframe he was KIA during a dog fight in China.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Anna M. Wood

Thank you Jeff....  We all look forward to seeing what other treasures are in your father's archives.   :)

Dave S.

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on January 29, 2018, 02:28:04 PM
Thank you Dave.  Here are a couple of photos of my Uncle Sam from WWII.  The first was taken during some training he had in Florida.  The second was taken with his beloved P-40.  The same airframe he was KIA during a dog fight in China.

Wow Jeff, you have some amazing aviation history in your family.  Thanks for sharing.  Really do appreciate and enjoy viewing your images.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Jeff D. Welker

My apologies if I've posted this somewhere on AzAP before.  I could not find it anywhere on the site, so I'm posting today.  Dad's squadron getting all fancy on a rainy morning at the ANG base at Sky Harbor.  In the 1960's the Copperheads were ready to intercept.  To help orient you to this location at PHX, the centerline of RWY 7R/25L would run right through the main hangar in this photo.  My dad's humble office and photolab was on the second floor of that hangar.  The 2000 aerial below shows the construction of 7R/25L and that old hangar before it was demolished.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

While out at the Coolidge breakfast fly-in, I made the acquaintance of a gentleman (ex Army Vietnam pilot) that is on a quest to document the history of the Coolidge Army Airfield.  He has a hangar at Coolidge and we talked for about 30-minutes.  I took some photos of the display he had next to his airplane.  I've attached those photos below and also posted on the Coolidge thread.  Terrific stuff.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Jeff, what years did you go to High School and where?  1963 - 1967 for me, Cortez High School in the West Valley.  Football, Wrestling, Track and Baseball.

Joe Copalman

Not sure how I missed that post with the Coolidge photos Jeff, but that is some awesome stuff.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

On 14 Sept 1957, an AD-5N Skyraider out of MCAS El Toro crashed at Sky Harbor on the old RWY 26L, which is now designated as RWY 25R.  My father was on duty at the time and took crash scene photos.  His notes to not indicate the cause of the crash; however, photo v.4 would seem to be taken precisely because it was a part of the puzzle.  His notes also do not indicate the extent of any injuries to the pilots. In image v.3, you can see the old ANG hangar and Terminal 1 tower in the background.  I believe Dad took these photos with his trusty USAF issued Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5 camera.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Chris Janes

Jeff,
Very intriguing photos. I always like getting a glimpse of the past especially when there is some type of personal story to go along with it.

Brian Corbett

Jeff, the images you post are truly fascinating. Your father did and saw some amazing things! Please continue putting up the scans, as all of us will never stop enjoying them!
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Matt Ottosen

Jeff, I love seeing your dad's historical photos, keep them coming!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Brian Corbett on June 06, 2019, 05:51:03 PM
Jeff, the images you post are truly fascinating. Your father did and saw some amazing things! Please continue putting up the scans, as all of us will never stop enjoying them!
Quote from: Matt Ottosen on June 10, 2019, 07:44:54 PM
Jeff, I love seeing your dad's historical photos, keep them coming!
Quote from: Chris Janes on June 06, 2019, 03:45:36 PM
Jeff,
Very intriguing photos. I always like getting a glimpse of the past especially when there is some type of personal story to go along with it.

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.  Here are a few more for your enjoyment.  Dad took these in 1950 when he was stationed a Luke.  The AZ ANG was initially stationed at Luke and then moved to PHX a few years later.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Beautiful set of photos Jeff. I may have been on the tower catwalk when these were shot.  ;D

Brian Corbett

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on June 19, 2019, 10:40:05 AM

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.  Here are a few more for your enjoyment.  Dad took these in 1950 when he was stationed a Luke.  The AZ ANG was initially stationed at Luke and then moved to PHX a few years later.

This shot is amazing. Even if it was staged, you would never know it (was it??). Your dad captured the essence of scramble.
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images