News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

Historical Photos

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 24, 2015, 06:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Photographs by dad (Dale Welker) circa 1960 +/-. F-86D on the ramp at the Arizona Air National Guard at Sky Harbor.

F-86D 53-3759 v.1 - Phoenix, Arizona by Jeff D. Welker, on Flickr

F-86D 52-3759 v.2 - Phoenix, Arizona by Jeff D. Welker, on Flickr

Ansco 4x5 Super Pan Press Film | Graflex Speed Graphic USAF KE-12 Camera 4x5 | Rodenstock Optar 135mm F/4
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Tower Guy

Great photos of the F-86D Jeff. Your father didn't have problems with background clutter,
just a lonely DC-3 trying to photo bomb him. Are those rocket tubes under the belly?

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on February 25, 2020, 01:09:50 PM
Great photos of the F-86D Jeff. Your father didn't have problems with background clutter,
just a lonely DC-3 trying to photo bomb him. Are those rocket tubes under the belly?

Thanks Harvey. While dad could arrange some things on the ramp for photography purposes, he apparently could not make the DC-3 or power poles disappear ;)

Yes, it is my understanding that is the Mighty Mouse Folding-Fin Aerial Rocket (FFAR) tray extended. 24 rockets were carried instead of guns. Bro. Copalman informs that these were common on the D & L variants of the F-86.  "They were built to intercept large formations of Soviet bombers (that wound up not really existing)".
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Air one Delta

Thanks for the walk back, it made me smile to think back to that era, very different than now.   Thanks!

Jeff D. Welker

NORTHROP F-89B SCORPION - It is 1958 and dad was with his squadron TDY at Gowan Field in Boise, Idaho. At that time, the Idaho Air National Guard was flying F-89's. With my apologies to all the Scorpion fans out there, this airframe was never a favorite of mine. Nothing about it speaks "dynamic" to me. Clearly a purpose-built aircraft that no amount of lipstick can fix.

NORTHROP F-89B SCORPION - Boise, Idaho by Jeff D. Welker, on Flickr
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Another scan from dad's archives. Copperheads Ramp at PHX - 1956. Looks like a summer thunderstorm is approaching.

Copperheads Ramp 1956 - Phoenix, Arizona by Jeff D. Welker, on Flickr
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Love these classic photos that your father shot Jeff. A more personal view of history when you know who the photographer was. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on May 16, 2020, 10:24:04 AM
Love these classic photos that your father shot Jeff. A more personal view of history when you know who the photographer was. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the kind words Harvey. While it was a very long time ago, I remember walking on that ramp with my dad. I've got more than a few photos of me sitting on various wings. It is special for me to go through my father's negatives and slides. Tons of great memories and a little history to boot. Be well young man.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Another 6x6 Anscochrome slide from dad's 1956 files. His squadron was TDY at Gowan Field training with the Idaho ANG. I believe dad took this photo with his beloved Rolleiflex.

IDAHO ANG v.2 - Boise, Idaho 1956 by Jeff D. Welker, on Flickr
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

I think it is fair to say that the Idaho ANG at Gowan Field in Boise had an interesting ramp in 1956. Especially, when your roster of "alert birds" includes a B-47 Stratojet. Photograph by Dale Welker.

ALWAYS READY - Gowen Field, Idaho by Jeff D. Welker, on Flickr
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Ned Harris

Jeff: I am loving these historical photos taken by your father. Keep 'em coming.
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Ned Harris on May 29, 2020, 05:36:50 AM
Jeff: I am loving these historical photos taken by your father. Keep 'em coming.

Thank you Ned. I intend to keep posting them until I run out of negatives.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Brian Corbett

Have you run out of negatives, good sir? I hope you're well!
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Chris C.

The defunct geo-tagging and photo sharing website Panoramio used to have a bunch of historic Arizona aviation photos uploaded by the user Dief. When Panoramio was shut down in January 2018 and all of it's data went with it, I downloaded the historic photos and I've decided to post them here so they can be seen again. All photos and titles are originally from the former Panoramio user Dief.

COOLIDGE PT. 1

THE GREEN BIRD

SUNRISE, SUMMER, 1948

STAGGERWINGS, SPRING 1954

STAGGERWING

OFF TO WORK, JULY 1948

MOODY DUSTING CO., N3Ns