Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

Nice shot Joe.  I've seen a similar affect using chemical glow sticks in abandoned structures at the Salton Sea in California.  The photographer is an associate of my son.  The affects were compelling. 

http://lostamerica.com/

FelipeG

Really wanted to try this out. There is some camera shake as the tripod wasn't secured enough. Will try again tomorrow with an extra bungee cord and more tension.

Night drive by KE7WOX, on Flickr

All systems off by KE7WOX, on Flickr

Joe Copalman

Quote from: wingsnstuff on May 24, 2012, 12:29:41 PM
Nice shot Joe.  I've seen a similar affect using chemical glow sticks in abandoned structures at the Salton Sea in California.  The photographer is an associate of my son.  The affects were compelling.  

http://lostamerica.com/

Thanks Vance!  Troy's stuff is amazing.  Being an aviation guy, I prefer whole, intact aircraft to the scrapped hulks he shoots a lot of, but on the whole, he's probably my favorite night photographer.  I wasn't aware that he used glowsticks, but I can see that, given he uses a lot of mixed lighting, like full moon + flashlights + strobes, all in a single shot.  Surprisingly short exposures too (<2 minutes on a lot of his stuff), for the amount of detail he can coax out of the shadows.    

Just checked his site, and it looks like he's shot the Castle Air Museum at some point.  It's pretty similar to Pima in terms of the layout (tons of aircraft in a large outside display area).  Worth looking at for ideas for the PASM shoot in June: http://lostamerica.com/photo-items/castle-air-museum/#
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

This is a redux of a older image. I primarily used Nik's Color Efex Pro 4 to massage the pixels. Not sure I'm 100% happy with the image yet, but I'm heading in the direction I want.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Cool Cat - Nikon D3 with 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jeff Welker on May 25, 2012, 03:50:13 PM
This is a redux of a older image. I primarily used Nik's Color Efex Pro 4 to massage the pixels. Not sure I'm 100% happy with the image yet, but I'm heading in the direction I want.

His forehead seems blown out. Maybe too much saturation and not enough contrast.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Scott Youmans on May 25, 2012, 10:58:09 PM
Cool Cat - Nikon D3 with 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Cool shot, and I had a cat exactly like that 30 years ago.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Late night post processing. It's a pic from 2010.

S.C.

Brian Lockett

Annular Solar Eclipse as observed from Page:

Stephen Marshall

It's been a long time since I've done any real photography, let alone post anything here, and its been bugging me. Since I became limited to the stock 18-55 lens my passion for photography has slowly died. In order to rejuvenate myself I decided to pick up a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens and went out to play tonight.

I fell in love with this lens quickly, though being my first prime it was interesting getting used to the fixed focal length. I feel like I did alright though and love the sharpness! Looking forward to playing with this at the PASM night shoot.

How am I doing? by unmannedpilot, on Flickr

Truly by unmannedpilot, on Flickr
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Scott Youmans

Nice work Stephen! I know what you mean about fixed focal length lenses. I keep reaching for the zoom ring to compose!  Zooming with your feet is a good exercise in more ways than one!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Here's another shot of last week's Solar Eclipse.  I played around with it quite a bit in Photomatix Pro, Photoshop, and Flickr's Aviary.

Cheshire Smile

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Rob Silliman

Taking advantage of the cooler than normal May weather to visit the Phoenix Zoo.

Spider Monkey posing for the camera.

Brian Lockett

Pictures of the annular solar eclipse taken at five-minute intervals.

Joe Copalman

RODE HARD

Another shot from the light painting workshop I did a few weekends ago.  I was a bit frustrated with this shot, as it was difficult to get an exposure that had any acceptable degree of shadow detail without totally blowing out the highlights. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ