Cool shot by the way...
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on January 06, 2012, 09:05:31 PM
Jeff - Hope she feels better soon.

Cool shot by the way...

Thanks Scott for the concern and compliment.

I missed shooting with everyone yesterday morning at Coolidge. One of my grandson's had a birthday party and with my wife sick, I had many duties to perform. Later that afternoon (after the party ended) a friend called and asked me if I would shoot him participating in a cutting horse competition. I enjoy equine activities and told him no problem, grabbed my 1DMk4 and heading to the arena. Man was I in for a test. The only angle they would allow me to shoot put the late afternoon sun directly behind the rider/horse (no flash units allowed for good reason). To make matters worse, the competition was being held in a covered arena that created dark shadows combined with blown-out sun light. Here is an image I like; however, it took nearly ever trick I know (I only know 2 tricks) to pull this out of the dumpster. I shot this manual and was working back and forth with combinations of ISO, shutter speed, and f/stop to try and find a balance that might work. In the end, the back lighting had some advantages; however, it was a tough assignment. Any suggestions for getting these back lit images better "in camera" would be appreciated.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

scottcolbath

Excellent shots Jeff. Come on out to Gold Rush Days in Wickenburg next month for the rodeo. It's a good time, and great shots can be had.

S.C.

Chris V

Remains of a early 1900's hotel way out in the desert.

CJPalmer

Not sure where to put this image, so here it goes.

Turbine Blade by CJPalmerPhoto, on Flickr

Daniel DeSart

First time really playing around with HDR.

wingsnstuff

Chris, Love the night shot of the 1900 era hotel ruins

Ned Harris

Male American Kestrel, Sulphur Springs Valley, AZ, 1/17/12.

_92W1521 American Kestrel by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Scott Youmans

Beautiful bird Ned.  Where is Sulphur Springs?  Sounds familiar but can't place it.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Ned Harris

Scott: The Sulphur Springs Valley is between Willcox and Douglas.
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

wingsnstuff

Ned, Your Krestrel image is beautiful.  The Krestrel looks like a giant killer budgie  ;D

trmphoto

Chris V

Quote from: wingsnstuff on January 17, 2012, 08:16:18 AM
Chris, Love the night shot of the 1900 era hotel ruins

Thanks! believe it or not that shot was actually taken in bright sunlight in mid afternoon  ;D

wingsnstuff

Was the shadowing that extreme?  Excellent image.

Scott Youmans

A question for the bird experts out there. Are these Cormorants? Taken at 40th Street and the Salt River.  Thanks.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved