News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

A few shots from this weekend's Combat Arms Challenge, hosted by the Arizona Army National Guard at the Florence Military Reservation.  Two-man teams from the AZ Army and Air National Guard and the Marine Corps Reserve competed in the event, which consisted of 8 shooting stages that tested proficiency with a variety of small arms in current use with the US military.  In addition to shooting, the teams had to run from one event to the next over a course that ran almost 4 miles on its own, plus they had to run a 100m penalty lap for every shot missed.  It was a fun event to shoot, though cloud cover, range layouts, and the obvious safety concerns made it a bit challenging to get some of the shots I had wanted, but I honestly needed to be challenged like that when shooting something other than aircraft.  Definitely something I'd shoot again in a heartbeat.  

A Marine engages pop-up targets with his M16 on the Automated Record Fire range.

A Staff Sergeant from the 161st Air Refueling Wing racks another 12-gauge round into the chamber while scanning for the next target to pop-up.

A soldier from the Arizona Army National Guard plinking steel plate targets with an M9 during the pistol portion of the course.  This guy was one of the few who did well on this lane, knocking down four of the five plates.  When I asked the range officer how most competitors had been faring that morning, he said "pretty terrible, actually."  Most servicemembers are not trained to use handguns, with MPs and officers being two of the more common exceptions.  

Many more shots to come.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Nice Joe!  Looks like you had really good access.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Harry Morrow

Quote from: Chris V on January 15, 2011, 08:21:18 PM
Very nice series Harry!! I like them all!!

Hi Chris

Thanks for the comment, do you fly yourself
Harry Morrow

www.harrymorrowphotography.com
www.flickr.com/harrymorrowphotography

Stephen Marshall

-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Joe Copalman

More from the Combat Arms Challenge last weekend.

FRAG OUT!

"Aim High."

Boomstick Up!

Target-Rich Environment

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Man that looks like it was a fun time!
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Chris V

Quote from: Harry Morrow on January 17, 2011, 10:54:01 PM
Quote from: Chris V on January 15, 2011, 08:21:18 PM
Very nice series Harry!! I like them all!!

Hi Chris

Thanks for the comment, do you fly yourself

No I don't  :-[  My profile pic is from a ride in a Grob 103.

Chris V

Joe Copalman

It was fun, James.  Made me wish I was still in so I could have participated, but if I was still in, I'd be in Afghanistan, so I couldn't have participated anyway.  Definitely a fun event to shoot.

Really interesting to see the various levels of marksmanship at work.  There was an Army sniper team participating that did really well, and the Marines seemed to do well in the rifle and shotgun events as well.  I was surprised at how many shooters ignored (or just forgot) the marksmanship fundamentals.  Granted, if you do a job that doesn't require frequent use of a rifle, you probably won't practice much, but you'd think that stuff would be drilled into you from basic.  One guy was shooting with his middle finger, like he was playing paintball or something.  Very odd.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Daniel DeSart

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

This is the largest spruce tree I've ever seen in Arizona. It is part of the Terry Flat area near the top of Escudilla Mountain in eastern AZ. This brut is nearly 5' in diameter at the base.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

redsox223

So I havent had too much time to get out plane spotting, but my daily commute has started to turn me into another kinda of spotter:

Getting Low by redsox223, on Flickr

On The Move by redsox223, on Flickr

Acela Speed by redsox223, on Flickr