Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Jay Beckman on January 27, 2016, 02:01:55 PM
That's one of the best Lion shots I think I've ever seen from the PHX Zoo...

Thanks, Jay.  He was actually watching an American A319 fly past when I took this. 

And likewise on your recent salvo of Leopard shots.  So good.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

We should do an AZAP Family Day at the Zoo sometime...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Tower Guy

Very cool photo Vance. Were these trees lighted or did you paint them with a flash?

wingsnstuff

The trees are illuminated by several ground spotlights.  The illumination gives these oaks a somewhat eerie look after dark.  I've wanted to photograph them since moving here in November.  I finally had the chance last night.  Thanks Harvey, it was good to hear from you.

Tower Guy

This Peacock shot is truly outstanding Vance, very nice work!

Jay Beckman

Creepy Trees and Killer Details!

Nice work Vance!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

wingsnstuff

Thanks Harvey.  These Peacocks wander freely throughout the Magnolia Plantation and do not hesitate to strut their stuff in front of cameras

wingsnstuff

Thank you Jay.  I was pleased with the results and most pleased with your feedback.  It was very much appreciated.  Thanks again.

Matt Ottosen

A few photos from this past Sunday morning at Coolidge Municipal Airport.  This is from a new project that Rylan and I are working on, we call it our Sentiment d'Amour Collection.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jay Beckman

Nice work by you and the Mrs. Matt.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Jay Beckman on February 05, 2016, 04:01:52 PM
Nice work by you and the Mrs. Matt.

Thanks Jay!  This was just a test shoot, we didn't even plan it, and yet, it turned out much better than expected.  We have a lot of ideas for this series, and photo shoots planned this and next weekend.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Ned Harris

Adult Crested Caracara. Santa Cruz Flats. 2-3-16.

_31A3156 Adult Crested Caracara by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Jeff D. Welker

^^^^ An amazing photograph Ned. I never new we had such interesting flyers in Arizona. I showed this to my eldest grandson and he has been searching the internet ever since for info on the Crested Caracara.

Some my be thinking that Scott Youmans and I have been spending some serious quality time very early on Saturday mornings photographing the DC-7 at Coolidge. While it is true we've been smacking that airframe around with various cameras and lenses, that is not the primary reason we make that long drive. I must confess that the main attraction is a few miles further north and east of the airport. It is the "Old Pueblo" restaurant in Florence. Breakfast to die for and most reasonable prices. Excellent service and we've never had a problem getting seated as soon as we walk through the door. May I humbly suggest your next travel agenda to Coolidge include time for a visit to the "Old Pueblo". Below are a few images from our last visit.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

I'm intrigued by the military history at Coolidge Municipal Airport. I often look at Google Earth images and other photographs (on the world wide web) to get a better sense of how things looked in the 1940's when P08 was an Army Airfield. Most of the concrete slabs associated with the barracks and other buildings are still evident in the desert immediately east of the main ramp/hanger area. I was able to locate the four concrete foundation piers from the metal frame control tower that existed on the south end of the ramp. These piers are immediately adjacent to the south side of the retired (white/red) IAR Herc. During a recent examination of the latest Google Earth imagery, I noticed an interesting structure about 700 yards due east of the IAR hanger. After a couple of fruitless searches, Messrs. Youmans and I found the old swimming pool and bath house built for the military stationed at P08 during the 1940's. The reason I missed finding it before is because I was looking for a hole in the ground. Instead, they made a large mound of earth/dirt and constructed the pool in the mound. The bath house is on the south side of the pool at a slightly lower (but still elevated) level than the pool. I don't know if this was an officers only amenity or if it was available to all stationed at Coolidge. Because of the mound construction, those using the pool would have enjoyed a terrific view of their remote desert surroundings. You can see where the diving board was located and what looks to be a place next to the pool that had a sun shade. Considering its age, this would have been a very nice recreational benefit for those hot summer days these men would have endured during WWII. Here are a couple of photos of what we found. I did not have a wide lens to shoot this properly, but another visit will be arranged. The bath house might even be a fun night shoot object with color light painting - Joseph  ;)

I consider P08 to be "in the middle of nowhere" now. Imagine how remote it must have felt to those stationed there in the 1940's  :)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ