Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Jeff, this latest salvo of shots is just spectacular.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

LYSERGIC PELICAN

Been on a bit of an aviation sabbatical, recharging my batteries with some reading, writing, making music, and shooting photos of things that aren't airplanes.  Shot this pelican at the Phoenix Zoo recently, and the reflection was more interesting than the bird itself.  Apologies for any flashbacks among you Woodstock generation folks.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Cool shot Joe, very creative and just plain fun shot!

wingsnstuff

Nice capture Joe.  The reflection makes it look like this guy had a serious run in with an immovable object.  Very cool.

scottcolbath

Back at Wickenburg airport today with my buddy Spanky. He just finished building his latest supermoto. He's sponsored by a local shop and going racing for 2016.

We did the shoot on 23 because it's his number. The light was tough. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the shots, I'm all ears. I used my flash and it still doesn't seem like it was enough. I played with exposure and such, but I'm just not great at shooting in these conditions.

Then we went down the other end for the good light.

Spanky's dad flew in to hang out.

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jay Beckman

Quote from: scottcolbath on January 20, 2016, 07:46:21 PM
Back at Wickenburg airport today with my buddy Spanky. He just finished building his latest supermoto. He's sponsored by a local shop and going racing for 2016.

We did the shoot on 23 because it's his number. The light was tough. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the shots, I'm all ears. I used my flash and it still doesn't seem like it was enough. I played with exposure and such, but I'm just not great at shooting in these conditions.

Balancing Vs Direct Sun is why Alien Bee 1600s exist...  ;)  A 4x8 sheet of foamcore covered in aluminum foil as a reflector would have also opened him up  a bunch.  It would have blinded him, but hey, do you want the shot or not?  ;D

Lacking that much lighting firepower, I'd open the same file twice in Photoshop as "Smart Objects" (which preserves the RAW adjustment handles) and then tweak the levels for each layer to taste.  Drop a mask over the subject layer and then brush him back in over the correctly exposed background.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jay Beckman on January 25, 2016, 12:41:05 PM

Lacking that much lighting firepower, I'd open the same file twice in Photoshop as "Smart Objects" (which preserves the RAW adjustment handles) and then tweak the levels for each layer to taste.  Drop a mask over the subject layer and then brush him back in over the correctly exposed background.

I'm on Aperture 3.0. I don't have layers.  :(

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Do you have any kind of backlight adjustment feature?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jay Beckman on January 25, 2016, 05:17:21 PM

I can pull out stuff using a "shadows" adjustment, but it's sort of lame. The bottom line is that I think I should have spot focused on the subject, which may have blown out the background a bit but at least I'd have another option.

I'm working on getting back out there for a morning shoot, when the light is nice on 23.

S.C.

Joe Copalman

HEART OF A KING

LIVING IN THE HERON NOW

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Quote from: scottcolbath on January 25, 2016, 06:39:42 PM
Quote from: Jay Beckman on January 25, 2016, 05:17:21 PM

I can pull out stuff using a "shadows" adjustment, but it's sort of lame. The bottom line is that I think I should have spot focused on the subject, which may have blown out the background a bit but at least I'd have another option.

I'm working on getting back out there for a morning shoot, when the light is nice on 23.

S.C.

Let me know if you'd like an assistant...  ;)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

That's one of the best Lion shots I think I've ever seen from the PHX Zoo...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jay Beckman on January 27, 2016, 02:01:55 PM
That's one of the best Lion shots I think I've ever seen from the PHX Zoo...

That and the bird shot are excellent.

Jay, I'll let you know when I'm going back out there.

S.C.