Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubak

wingsnstuff

Okay Bill, How close were you.  The colorization is awfully pale.  It's obviously a Viper, but do you know what kind and how big was it?  Great shot...sure looks like it blended well with the gravel that it was lying in.

azbill

Thanks Bubak!

Thanks wingsnstuff.
I was several inches away, using my Nikkor 24-70 on a FF body. The snake was very calm.
It is a Speckled Rattlesnake, about 18" long. Speckled's have evolved to take on the coloration of the rocks they live in...cryptic coloration. As you can see, the rocks/gravel are very "whiteish" with black peppering, so goes the snake. In other mountain ranges where they occur, the rocks may be red, brown, bluish, etc. and the populations of Speckled's in those ranges have evolved to blend in amongst those rocks. Interesting species of rattlesnake!
Thanks for commenting!
Bill

wingsnstuff

Thanks Bill.  Spent lots of time in the Arizona desert, but I don't believe I've ever seen on this rattlesnake this pale.  Adapting to ones surroundings is an amazing feature of God's creatures.  A very nice shot.  What FF Nikon are you shooting?  I'm looking to buy the D600

azbill

Quote from: wingsnstuff on April 29, 2013, 11:25:32 AM
Thanks Bill.  Spent lots of time in the Arizona desert, but I don't believe I've ever seen on this rattlesnake this pale.  Adapting to ones surroundings is an amazing feature of God's creatures.  A very nice shot.  What FF Nikon are you shooting?  I'm looking to buy the D600

Thanks again.
I agree, the adaptation is amazing. You would have to specifically seek these snakes out. They occur in a remote range. I routinely see F-18's, Harrier's and F-5's "playing" while I'm hiking around looking for these guys.  ;)
The Nikon is a D800E.
Bill

azbill

Nice moon shot, and congrats on the new D600!

wingsnstuff

Ned Harris

Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Rob Silliman

From Oct 2012, Sunrise at the Grand Canyon

wingsnstuff

Very nice Rob.  As you might have noticed, I love sunset shots and have taken a few myself.  Here's a link to my Western Sunsets SET on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wingsnstuff/sets/72157627163505404/

ChrisM

Finally got round to visiting some of the sights in Arizona, so one from Antelope Canyon for now and maybe more later.....

Paul Dumm

That place is on my bucket list. Will have to plan a trip as a retirement gift next year.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

cpasley

Not so much a good shot as it is a candid one, I had left a bit of ice cream in the bottom for her and when I walked back in I found this, luckily I had my camera handy

"Angel" my dog who loves her Rocky Road ice cream by Pasley Aviation Photography, on Flickr

Tower Guy

I've been there, don't use my real name...

Ned Harris

Regal Horned Lizard searching for ants. Sabino Canyon, 5/19/13.

_92W4861 Got Ants? by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona