Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

This photograph was taken just a second or two before the first image I posted (http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.msg55155#msg55155); however, after further evaluation I like this one a tab more because of the green runway lights reflecting in the fuselage/tail and the piano keys reflecting in the engine cowlings.

CHASING SUNSETS v.2
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on December 30, 2014, 08:00:13 AM
This photograph was taken just a second or two before the first image I posted (http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.msg55155#msg55155); however, after further evaluation I like this one a tab more because of the green runway lights reflecting in the fuselage/tail and the piano keys reflecting in the engine cowlings.

CHASING SUNSETS v.2

Very, very nice work, Brother!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on December 30, 2014, 08:00:13 AM

CHASING SUNSETS v.2
[/center]

Jeffe,

Really digging these arrival shots of yours.  Those classic Arizona sunset colors...ahhh.  The oh-so close to a silhouette really makes the aircraft pop out of those warm colors too.  Blissful...

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Joe Copalman

Just when I think I'm turning the corner with my work, feeling like I'm developing in both artistic vision and technical competence, Jeff (and Anna, and Scott, and Jay, and one of any number of Chrises) posts something that brings this meme to mind.

Phenomenal shot, Jeff. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Dave S. on December 30, 2014, 03:09:04 PM
Jeffe,

Really digging these arrival shots of yours.  Those classic Arizona sunset colors...ahhh.  The oh-so close to a silhouette really makes the aircraft pop out of those warm colors too.  Blissful...

Quote from: Joe Copalman on December 30, 2014, 03:15:29 PM
Just when I think I'm turning the corner with my work, feeling like I'm developing in both artistic vision and technical competence, Jeff (and Anna, and Scott, and Jay, and one of any number of Chrises) posts something that brings this meme to mind.

Phenomenal shot, Jeff.  

David & Joseph:

Your encouraging comments are truly appreciated. You both know that timing can be everything in aviation photography. I feel very lucky that the environmental conditions and arrival times worked to my favor. Thanks again.

This is an image taken about 30-minutes earlier when there was a tad more available light. Thank goodness for high ISO and acceptable sensor noise.

BOEING LIGHTBENDER
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Anna M. Wood

Phenomenal shot, Jeff. 

Joe,

You are to kind to include me with this group of talented photographers.  I feel like the dog in your picture most times.....   ???  :o  ???   I am always amazed at the talent and vision you all have for the images you create.

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on December 30, 2014, 09:46:10 PM
Phenomenal shot, Jeff. 
Joe,You are to kind to include me with this group of talented photographers.  I feel like the dog in your picture most times.....   ???  :o  ???   I am always amazed at the talent and vision you all have for the images you create.
Likewise Joe, thanks. Don't underestimate your talent though.  I've seen some fine creative work from you.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Anna M. Wood

UPS Arrival
Cold, cloudy, rainy early morning arrival.

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Bravo Anna and Scott for braving the weather and early hour to get these terrific images. The fact that they are wonderful photographs of two of my all-time favorite commercial aircraft is a deluxe bonus. IMO, the lines on the 757 give it a unique and "all business" look that no other aluminum tube has. The 200PF (no windows freighter) is my favorite variant. The lights illuminating the fuselage and the cloud texture of the coming storm add wonderful elements to this early morning image. What can I say about your MD-11 capture Scott except - phenomenal! If Hugh Hefner had a magazine for airplanes, this would be the centerfold - a voluptuous big girl. The stormy background, the hint of sunrise coming, lights from the runway and structures all kept below the wing, all four main gears separated and distinct, and the ¾ head-on angle - absolutely terrific.

Thanks again you two for sharing these images and your talents.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thank Jeff!

Anna and I had a good time out there. Even though I lived in upstate NY for a few years back in the early nineties, I apprently haven't retained my ability to withstand the cold.  Part of that is the mistaken belief that since I'm in Phoenix again it can't possibly be cold enough to justify an effective jacket or gloves.

My first itterations of this image reatined more of the "blue world" feel that more accurately representated the conditions, at least as the camera saw things. I'm not entirely convinced my editing choices were the best, colors a little muddy or something. I might have another go at it, possibly keeping more of the blue and empasizing the complimentary colors that were present. I also blew the opportunity to shoot at a lower ISO since the subject was essentially static but the camera was set up in anticipation getting aircraft on approach.  Fortunately the Mark III and Lr largely made up for my inattention.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Curious to see the "blue" shot, as I really like this one.  I see what you mean about the higher ISO, but it's really only apparent when looking at the intakes.  Intakes are good candidates for selective noise reduction using the quick-select tool and just blasting them until the "fuzz" is busted, so to speak.  There's a lot to like in this shot (colors included), but my favorite detail is that the taxiway signs and lights aren't blown out.  So many shooters focus only on the subject in low-light shots, with no regard for errant light sources in the background. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

The Boeing Beast...The cloudy weather was an advantage considering I was on what would have been the shady side.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved