News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Youmans

MD-11 - Here's a different version with more of the blue retained and a different crop.  The edits I do for the AzAP posts are for the most part pretty quick.  When something continues to catch my eye or if I know I'm going to print the image I'll go back and re-edit the photo more carefully.  On a few occasions I've been unable to achieve the same level of satisfaction with the image as I did with the more spontaneous edit.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

And one more variation...Pretty much digital fantasy at this point but what the hell.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Scott Youmans on January 01, 2015, 04:44:37 PM
And one more variation...Pretty much digital fantasy at this point but what the hell.

All are very nice, but this is the one that I like the best.  Really nice work on these, Scott.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on January 01, 2015, 07:50:26 AM
Bravo Anna and Scott for braving the weather and early hour to get these terrific images. The fact that they are wonderful photographs of two of my all-time favorite commercial aircraft is a deluxe bonus. IMO, the lines on the 757 give it a unique and "all business" look that no other aluminum tube has. The 200PF (no windows freighter) is my favorite variant. The lights illuminating the fuselage and the cloud texture of the coming storm add wonderful elements to this early morning image. What can I say about your MD-11 capture Scott except - phenomenal! If Hugh Hefner had a magazine for airplanes, this would be the centerfold - a voluptuous big girl. The stormy background, the hint of sunrise coming, lights from the runway and structures all kept below the wing, all four main gears separated and distinct, and the ¾ head-on angle - absolutely terrific.

Thanks again you two for sharing these images and your talents.

Thank you Jeff....

It was pretty blustery Wednesday morning.  First time I have gone out and shot in that kind of weather.  Tested the water resistance of all the gear.   :o  I used my 40 years of Michigan native experience and dressed in about 5 layers and flannel lined blue jeans.  Still took several hours for the chill to wear off when I got home.   ;D

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Scott Youmans on January 01, 2015, 04:44:37 PM

I like all the variations Scott.  Great work.

There are so many ways to go with processing these images in the low light conditions..  How warm? How cool? Lots of clarity or a bit more glow?   I can see myself working through a few variations with the images from Wednesday morning as I learn some more Lightroom/Photoshop skills.  They offer so many creative possibilities.

Scott Youmans

Thanks Anna! If not for you I would have been lying in bed instead of shooting that morning.  I'm sure you took some similar and likely better pics yourself of the heavies that morning.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

One from yesterday's winter storm.

McDonnell Douglas MD-83
American Airlines
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Anna M. Wood

UPS, McDonnell Douglas MD-11, N295UP
Cold, rainy early morning departure from Phoenix Sky Harbor.

I have been digging into some of the Lightroom Presets that one can get out on the internet the last couple of days.  Dissecting them to get a better understanding of what is possible in Lightroom for processing. Hard for this black & white engineering mind to come to terms with the artistic side of photon harvesting.  A goal for 2015 to exercise that part of the brain.

Matt Ottosen

Boeing C-17A Globemaster III
62d Airlift Wing (62 AW)
446th Airlift Wing (446 AW)

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Boeing C-17A Globemaster III
62d Airlift Wing (62 AW)
446th Airlift Wing (446 AW)

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

bilwor

bill word
Tucson, AZ

Matt Ottosen

My commercial aviation white whale, I have been after this one for over four years.  I finally nabbed her on New Year's Day, hopefully that means that I'll be having a good year this year.

Boeing 737-490
Alaska Airlines
Spirit of Make-A-Wish
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.