Coolidge Municipal Airport (P08)

Started by Joe Copalman, June 15, 2009, 08:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

cpasley

Joe Copalman

Gorgeous Waco from back in April.  I'm going through older folders and realizing just how many images I still have from most of the Coolidge Fly-Ins.  Funny how I'll go out and shoot, come home and edit, then go out and shoot, come home and edit, and forget about the stuff from the previous shoot. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

cpasley

Must be nice ,I get out so rarely I keep looking at the same photos over and over thinking how I can make better but with the fly-ins coming again and (hopefully) the american heros show I am hoping to change that ,btw I do love that pic

jslugman

QuoteFunny how I'll go out and shoot, come home and edit, then go out and shoot, come home and edit, and forget about the stuff from the previous shoot. 

I feel your pain, that's how I found my recent cache of images from England in 2008.  :o
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

150-500 for shots along the runway and taxiways (most shots are between 150mm and 300mm), 18-55 for statics on the ramp.  I think I've only used my mid-range zoom (75-300) once or twice.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Jbong on September 21, 2010, 09:20:54 PM
well since the fly in is coming up shortly andI have never had the pleasure. What lens do you guys use out there?

Jason

To me, the best part of Coolidge is that you can shoot any lens you own...

Big glass for approaches (500mm)

Medium glass for landings and taxi pasts (300mm)

Really fast apertures wide open for "art" (135mm f/2 @ f/2)

And even WA or UWA for some cool looks as well. (17-40mm @ 17mm)

It really is a "playground" and the access we enjoy is what really makes the difference!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Jbong on September 21, 2010, 10:03:03 PM
Well I might have a issue. Unless its static then with my 200mm lens is not gonig to cut it lol.

I think you better be sure to come out.  I think you'll be pleasently surprised what you can get @ 200mm...   :D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jbong

I will be there. I am having issues on which to buy first the Lens or the camera.

David Loera

You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

Go for the glass first, then get a new body. 

And seriously, I checked the EXIF data on a ton of my Coolidge shots, and most of my favorites were shot at under 200mm focal lengths.  Some extra mms on the long end certainly won't hurt, but they're not necessary to have a thoroughly enjoyable experience out there.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

There's tons of room to maneuver in, so no matter what you bring you'll be able to make it fit the situation.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"