Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

So is Tamron paying you a commission, because that image right there just sold me on my next lens.  What was the focal length on that shot?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

600mm. ISO 200, 1/1000th sec., f/8.  The reviews say it's at its worst at that focal length which is not surprising but the results are pretty good considering we're looking through half a mile of air!  I've had the lens hunt while focusing a couple of times but not enough to be alarming.  I'm thinking this is most likely due to dim conditions and the small aperture at 600mm (f/6.3).  The actual focusing speed is pretty fast.

It is somewhat slow in terms of light gathering (f/5 to 6.3).   The aperture at 400mm is the same as the Canon 100-400mm.  Certainly not a replacement for a Canon 200-400mm with built in 1.4x extender but on the other hand it cost $1069.00 and is a whole lot lighter.  A body with low noise at high ISO would definitely be an advantage with this lens.  Time permitting I'm going to try some tests against the Canon 500mm f/4L IS.  I'm quite certain the Canon will be sharper (it better be!) but the question is how much.  As it stands now I'm reluctant to haul the 500mm around with me unless I'm shooting out of my car.  I sold my 100-400mm a while back thinking that Canon was going to introduce a new version.  Still waiting!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

If those are "long lens" efforts Scott, the look great here!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jay. These were shot with the new Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3.  Nicely built, capable of sharp images even at 600mm. Better at 500mm. Still evaluating the lens in general and why my keeper rate was low on that particular shoot. Might have been me!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

Your examples look very clear and sharp to me Scott, for the dollar difference between the Canon 200-400 with the 1.4x. Unless you hit the lottery the Tamron sells itself. WOW.

Joe Copalman

Keeper rate from the tower has always seemed pretty low - like you said, you've got about a half-mile of air in between you and the subject.  I'd imagine that extra reach would only amplify minor panning errors as well.    
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Very nice Jeff, I'm glad to see you still have more winners to post from this shoot. The colors and the sky are a great combination. Even the "ducks stripe" is visible by the strobe flashes, very cool.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on February 19, 2014, 09:47:51 PM
Very nice Jeff, I'm glad to see you still have more winners to post from this shoot. The colors and the sky are a great combination. Even the "ducks stripe" is visible by the strobe flashes, very cool.

Thanks Harvey. Not just for the compliment, but for facilitating the opportunity. I ended-up with some interesting RAW files from that visit  ;D

TREMORS
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Next time we have a snow day I'm coming to your house for a lesson in photo processing, great shot Jeff.