Heritage Flight Conference Media Day 2011

Started by Joe Copalman, February 16, 2011, 02:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

I was there last year.  They all went through their demos over the field.

cpasley

cpasley

Quote from: Jay Beckman on March 02, 2011, 10:32:09 AM
Quote from: Chris Pasley on March 02, 2011, 05:28:52 AM
Do we know what time they shoo everyone thats on base ,off ,id like to maybe shoot some of the salvage yards or boneyards or never been to TIA ,any ideas or suggestions?

AFAIK, if you're on base via the PAO/Media hall pass, you're on base for the entire day.

You get up close access before they crank 'em up and then you shoot from a media "bullpen" during the flying activities.
Thanks jay everything im hearing sounds great ,this will be my first time being there on or off base so cant wait to see what the day holds

Joe Copalman

Just be ready for backlit conditions once the flying starts.  Regardless of how you are metering, it's going to be silhouette city, especially as the day goes on.  Manually metering or the partial metering preset are probably your best bets for salvaging any detail. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Or, ask nicely for permission to shoot from the tower catwalk...

(It's been done in the past...)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 02, 2011, 12:03:53 PM
Just be ready for backlit conditions once the flying starts.  Regardless of how you are metering, it's going to be silhouette city, especially as the day goes on.  Manually metering or the partial metering preset are probably your best bets for salvaging any detail. 

Having never been on base at D-M before, and from looking at the base on Google Maps, I am confused.

I would assume we would be sitting with our backs to the sun. Looking from above, all the buildings, entrances, etc. are all on the East side of the base. I understand that the base runs on a NW/SE diagonal, but I don't see how the light can be that bad, at least early in the day.

If the lighting conditions are really going to be that bad, and the distance of 1/4 to 1/2 mile away (as mentioned elsewhere), this could make for a total bust. Would I be better off shooting outside the base?

S.C.

Joe Copalman

Download The Photographers Ephemeris here: http://photoephemeris.com/

Will show you sun positions from any spot in the world on given dates/times/etc.  Good stuff.

I've never shot from on-base because I like shots of stuff in the air, and you're closer and on the right side for the light when you shoot from off-base.  The problem with HF is that all the warbirds turn tight over the airfield, so even on landing, it's mostly belly shots.  The jets need more lead-in space, so they venture a bit outside the "box."  Morning statics are really the main reason to go on base, as the light is still decent at that hour. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I don't know exactly where Base Ops is located so I just grabbed the center of the ramp as an anchor but this shows where the sun will be at 3pm on Friday (the thin orange line extending to the SSW)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 02, 2011, 01:11:27 PM
Download The Photographers Ephemeris here: http://photoephemeris.com/

Will show you sun positions from any spot in the world on given dates/times/etc.  Good stuff.

I've never shot from on-base because I like shots of stuff in the air, and you're closer and on the right side for the light when you shoot from off-base.  The problem with HF is that all the warbirds turn tight over the airfield, so even on landing, it's mostly belly shots.  The jets need more lead-in space, so they venture a bit outside the "box."  Morning statics are really the main reason to go on base, as the light is still decent at that hour. 

Mmmm. Maybe I should do the morning statics, then depart for the fence after that.

S.C.

Joe Copalman

Just to make things more confusing, off-base might not be all that great this year, since they're doing construction on the approach end of runway 12, so aircraft are landing 3000' long.  If it weren't for the F-4s and the possibility of an F-86, I probably wouldn't be heading down this time.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Is it worth going down early to shoot F-16s at TIA first?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

bilwor

On a normal flying day at the AzGuard the 16s start 7:45-8:00 and start returning 9ish. You never know what the flying schedule will be or how many will fly. This is a Guard UTA weekend
bill word.
bill word
Tucson, AZ

Joe Copalman

When is it not worth it?   ;D

Bill, are the Fridays prior to a drill weekend standard flying days?  I didn't catch the departures last year because of the Tornadoes recovering at D-M early that morning, but I did catch quite a few recoveries.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

bilwor

Joe, as far as I know it is a regular flying day. Maybe Chris can answer better than I. I do know, even though it doesn't affect you, the Monday after UTA is an off day.
bill
bill word
Tucson, AZ

Paul Dumm

Are you guys going to be over at cargo in the AM or other spot? I will try and meet you there or over at the gard rail later about 10:00 or 11:00. Please let me know.
Thx.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."