News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Luke Air Force Base (LUF, KLUF)

Started by Joe Copalman, June 18, 2009, 12:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Youmans

Thanks Steve!. I just notice a huge spot on my sensor in the monochrome P-38 photo. Just fixed it. Had the sensor cleaned after the trip to Luke. It had gotten pretty bad.  $65.00 at Tempe Camera.  Price went up since the last time but they did a very good job on some dust I couldn't remove.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

Scott, this is an outstanding pan shot considering we were on the dark side by this time, late in the afternoon. Beauty!

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on March 25, 2014, 05:52:56 AM
Scott, this is an outstanding pan shot considering we were on the dark side by this time, late in the afternoon. Beauty!

I concur with Harvey; nicely done Scott. Was this your D800E and Sigma lens combo?
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Thanks guys!  That was taken with an EOS-1D Mark IV with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II and a 2x extender.  I'm not fully trusting the Tamron 150-600mm after some low "keeper rate" experiences.  More study and practice required.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on March 25, 2014, 08:55:12 AM
Thanks guys!  That was taken with an EOS-1D Mark IV with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II and a 2x extender.  I'm not fully trusting the Tamron 150-600mm after some low "keeper rate" experiences.  More study and practice required.

Thanks Scott. Just turn the "Keeper Rate" button on that Tamron to 100% and you should be good to go  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Scott Youmans on March 25, 2014, 08:55:12 AM

Definitely keep us all posted on this, perhaps even post some of the non-keepers or portions thereof in another thread.  My Sigma 150-500 is on death's doorstep currently, and I'd much rather spend the $500 or so it would cost to repair it on a long zoom lens upgrade.  Was hoping to avoid having to go whole hog on a new 100-400L, but if the Tamron is a bit of a dud, I may have to do that. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Joe, Just a quick point regarding the Canon 100-400.  There's a pretty good rebate right now.  I've said if before but the Tamron is quite sharp even at 600mm but the number sharp shots is low (for me).  Panning on F-16s from the Luke tower yielded few (bust some) crisp shots.  It could well be me and not the lens.  600mm is a pretty tough thing to hand hold.  If you want to try it I'll meet you at 40th street some afternoon.  I need some additional experience with it.  My first outing at Sky Harbor actually impressed me very positively.  Luke not so much.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Anna M. Wood

Joe,

I have the new Tamron 150-600 as well.  You are more then welcome to try it out over at Willie or at Sky Harbor.  Just ping me if you are heading to either spot in the coming weeks.  Willie is close to home and Sky Harbor is close to work.

Tower Guy

WahooAviator

Thanks Harvey for the awesome pictures!  Fun fighting that Super Hornet today (me taking off right in front of him there in 439).  I'll try this weekend to share some of the video (or at least some more snapshots from the clips) when I flew backseat the day prior.  He's a low resolution pic to share with y'all now (if only I could take one of y'all's monster camera up there with me, not that I'd have a clue how to use it):

SPIKE!

Tower Guy

Cool air-to-air shot Bryce, thanks for sharing

Jonathan Navarro

Arriving for static display at Luke Days 2014.
====================================================================
Some shots from last December

trmphoto

Tower Guy

Navy lost in the desert looking for a boat