Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

Very nice.  I really like the composition and colors.

Jay Beckman

What were your settings on the Truck Joe?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Monument Valley - An ancient (by digital standards) shot taken with my first serious digital camera, an EOS-10D, April 2004.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Simply concrete proof that it's the Indian and not the Arrow...

Love the mood in that Scott.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jay!  Sure helps to have some real weather.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on May 31, 2012, 05:50:03 PM
Monument Valley - An ancient (by digital standards) shot taken with my first serious digital camera, an EOS-10D, April 2004.

If you don't start showing some restraint in posting one magnificent B&W image after another, I may suffer from a sever case of Anselitis and start playing with my broken Deardorff again  ;)

Just a wonderful image Scott.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Jay Beckman on May 31, 2012, 10:14:35 AM

38 seconds at ISO 100, f/8.  Light in the cab was on the verge of blowing out - the door handle inside the door is actually blown out in this shot.  Quite a bit of fill light added in Lightroom.   
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Jeff Welker on May 31, 2012, 07:43:39 PM
Quote from: Scott Youmans on May 31, 2012, 05:50:03 PM

If you don't start showing some restraint in posting one magnificent B&W image after another, I may suffer from a sever case of Anselitis and start playing with my broken Deardorff again  ;)

Just a wonderful image Scott.
Thank you very much Jeff.  Studying your work has influenced mine in a positive way.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Storm Passes Sonoita - Taken with Nikon F100 and 24-120mm on color print film, Summer 2000.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Joe Copalman on May 31, 2012, 08:03:07 PM
Quote from: Jay Beckman on May 31, 2012, 10:14:35 AM

38 seconds at ISO 100, f/8.  Light in the cab was on the verge of blowing out - the door handle inside the door is actually blown out in this shot.  Quite a bit of fill light added in Lightroom.   

Ok...

Was this a guess or did you have any guidelines with your light sources as to exposure expectations?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Not a guess, but a compromise.  I did a high-ISO test shot at ISO3200, f/8, 4 seconds to check my focus and composition.  The cab and the right foreground were totally blown out, so I guesstimated a 50-second exposure back down at ISO100.  Again, the cab and right foreground were blown out, and even then, the rest of the image still looked a bit too dark, especially the left side of the truck between the door and rear wheel well.  So I chopped a few seconds off and shot again, which is the shot I posted.  Highlights were acceptable, but the shadows were still too dark.  Then the instructor said he was lighting up the windmill, so I set up to shoot that instead.  

A lot of the lighting set-ups seemed to be pretty haphazard, with no real effort made to limit the dynamic range.  Quite a few hot spots where an LED box was hidden behind a rock closer up to the building than others, and it was either expose to the hot-spot or expose for the rest of the building.  It was honestly the first time I found myself wishing I knew the first thing about HDR shooting and processing.  It's never appealed to me, but was certainly a viable option given some of the set-ups that night, where the contrast was just too extreme to be captured in a single shot.  A few of the other shooters had the same complaints I did when we were chit-chatting during shots.  In terms of guidelines, the instructor said something like "start at ISO400 and ten seconds and adjust from there," but little beyond that.  Like I said, it was far more of a "do" than a "learn" workshop.  Not to knock the instructor, but I checked out his Flickr stream afterward and he's a card-dumper.  Something like 14,000 images total, with several near-duplicates.  I had a good time and got some good shots out of it, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $50 for the workshop.    

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

There is a gentleman at Tempe that does personal one-on-one workshops...a bit more expensive, but comes highly recommended.  I'll dig out his card if you are interested in talking to him.

Scott Youmans

I'm no expert in this area but it seems like an incident and/or spot light meter would be a big help. I haven't read all the posts, maybe this has been discussed.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

It hasn't been discussed, and may have helped a little, but the dynamic range of some of the lighting set-ups was just beyond what could have been captured in a single exposure.  I definitely think that some comfort/familiarity with HDR or other methods of blending exposure would have helped out, as would a bit more time out there during the shoot to experiment a bit more.  Obviously, if I had control of the lighting, I would have been a bit more conscious of the dynamic range, but since I had no input there, I just played the hand I was dealt as best I could.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Joe, understood. Without the ability to control the intensity of the various light sources, a light meter would have only allowed you to see just how bad the situation was. On the other hand it would allow you to determine a good bracketing spread for HDR.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved