News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Harris

Thank you Scott. The next two weeks should be great at Sabino.
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Ned Harris

Swainson's Hawk with prey. Sulphur Springs Valley 9/1/13.

_92W1954 by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Ned Harris

Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Ned Harris

Gulf Fritillary on Buttonbush in Sabino Canyon, 9/10/13.

_X5A6073 Gulf Fritillary on Buttonbush by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Barry Griffiths

Barry Griffiths
Tucson, Arizona & Waterloo, Ontario

Barry Griffiths

Barry Griffiths
Tucson, Arizona & Waterloo, Ontario

Matt Ottosen

Ashlie and I went to the Phoenix Zoo today.  It was fairly hot and humid and most of the animals were hiding in the shade, but I did manage to get a couple of photos.

• Masai Giraffe
  • Grevy's Zebra
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Scott Youmans

Fujifilm X100s.  Inspired by a similarly composed photo from a Fujifilm ad.  EOS-5D Mark III, 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens @ f/8, ISO 2500, 1/15 sec., handheld with a compact florescent table lamp bounced of the nearby wall, its regular everyday position.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Nice Critters Matt.  Looking forward to some cooler temps so I can blow the dust off my Zoo Membership card.

Quite Polished and "Ad Worthy" Scott...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jay.  Wish I could claim credit for the concept but somebody Fujifilm hired came up with basic idea.  The beauty of it was that I didn't have to set up any lights, I simply put the backpack and camera on my desk and took the shot.  I wish everything was that easy!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Obviously, sometimes they can be that easy!

Best stuff often comes from not over thinking or over engineering.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on September 15, 2013, 11:14:51 AM
Fujifilm X100s.  Inspired by a similarly composed photo from a Fujifilm ad.  EOS-5D Mark III, 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens @ f/8, ISO 2500, 1/15 sec., handheld with a compact florescent table lamp bounced of the nearby wall, its regular everyday position.

Wonderfully composed and well executed photograph Scott. I really like how bouncing the table lamp softened the light so well. I think it is terrific you were able to craft such a nice image right in your own home. Sometimes I think we are walking by photo-ops everyday in the things that are right around us. Maybe we should have that as a unique AzAP Photography Challenge some time - images from your home/office? Pro still life shooters would need to use $50K+ worth of equipment and spend most of a day in studio to top your image.

As a side note, I've been looking at these compact system cameras lately. The Panasonic/Lumix GX7 had gotten my attention; however, your photograph of the Fujifilm X100 makes it a contender. Scott 'Henri Cartier-Bresson' Youmans wielding his Leica-like X100 in downtown Phoenix, I like it  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thank you Jeff!  Here's a view of my desk with the basic "setup".  There's a shelf above my desk that helps reflect light back down.  I almost always have my lamps pointing up as in the photo because l like the way it lights the room.  The black foam core in the background is always there simply to keep the otherwise brightly lit wall from overpowering the PC monitor.

In regard to the X100s, the reviews pretty much say it all.  The fact that it has a fixed focal length lens is probably the biggest issue but on the other hand it makes life simpler. You do your best with what you've got.  I enjoy the challenge in that regard.  It's not a camera for all seasons.  I have other equipment for that. I have to admit I enjoy it as much as a work of classic industrial design as anything.  My first picture post to AzAP was taken with its predecessor, the X100.  Also included here.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Jay Beckman on September 15, 2013, 02:16:29 PM
Nice Critters Matt.  Looking forward to some cooler temps so I can blow the dust off my Zoo Membership card.

Thanks Jay, this will be the last time I ever visit the Phoenix Zoo when it's over 100°F.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.