Tips On Where To Shoot At Lindbergh Field, San Diego, KSAN

Started by Anna M. Wood, January 21, 2014, 09:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna M. Wood

I am going to be in San Diego next week.  Any tips on good places to shoot aircraft at the airport?  Will be staying at the Marriott next to the Convention Center.

Thanks.....   :)

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: RenderBay on January 21, 2014, 09:18:26 AM
I am going to be in San Diego next week.  Any tips on good places to shoot aircraft at the airport?  Will be staying at the Marriott next to the Convention Center.

Thanks.....   :)

Anna - If I remember correctly, Joe shot at KSAN in 2013 and got some great images (http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=2243.msg42235#msg42235). I'd PM or email him for definitive information. I'm sure there are other AzAP members who have experience shooting in San Diego and (hopefully) they will chime-in. I hope you have a great trip and some excellent photo ops.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris Janes

There is a small parking lot on Harbor Dr. thats on the approach end of 27. It's public parking and no charge. Some decent arrival pics can caught there. If you have a ladder you can get some pics of the planes taxiing to the runway. There is a parking garage at Laurel and Kittner, I haven't been there but I think you can go up top and have a good view of the airport.  I've been to the Southern end of Balboa park at Marston point and have had some good shots there. One other spot I've heard of but have not tried is down by the Bay View restaurant near Barnett and Little Dr. on the northwest side of the airport, I've heard there is a little strip park that's good for catching departures towards late day into sunset.

Anna M. Wood

Chris,

Excellent info....  I will recon the locations on Google Maps.

Thanks   ;D

Joe Copalman

I've seen some good shots from that lot alongside RWY27 off of Harbor Drive that Chris mentioned, I just didn't get a chance to shoot from there while I was in San Diego last time.  The spot I shot from is a garage on the north side of Laurel just east of California street.  I've seen some shots from this spot and was after a particular shot (DC-10 departing crossing the setting sun - TPE was showing this was very likely).  This garage also doesn't have the reputation that the garage on the south side of Laurel does.  That garage is directly aligned with RWY27, but apparently the owner is extremely hostile toward photography from his garage.  I've never read about or heard about photogs being driven off from the garage on the north side of Laurel.  It's a great spot for dramatic sunset/golden hour shots.  
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Anna M. Wood

Thanks Joe....  I have heard about the one on Laurel that is hostile to photogs.  Will check out the one to the east.

May have to rent a car for the day on Wednesday so I can get out a bit further from the hotel and not look to odd if I head to the parking garages.   ;)