News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 04, 2015, 10:05:57 PM
Bummer.  I watched it come in from the northeast and it came like it was going to make an approach for 26, then swerved south, looking like it was going to land on the 25s.  I actually had my phone out ready to text you when it looked like he was going north, but held off when he made that turn south.

Jay had his scanner operating and we heard the call for 26; however, it did swing south to the point that for a short while it looked like it was on a FedEx MD-11 track to 25L. Halfway home it swung back to 26 and called for a T&G. The darn thing came back to PHX later this evening; arriving at 9:00 PM. Go figure?

Quote from: Scott Youmans on March 04, 2015, 10:09:41 PM
Talk about alignment! Jay's Canon 2000mm f/1.2L VR II should yield a full frame moon!  In regard to the 787, dang!  BTW my friend at American doesn't have any intel on the AA side. Still bound to US Airways info.

Jay had his 1D4 screwed to his 500mm + 2x extender. A 1,000mm on a 1.3 crop sensor is some serious reach. I saw his image on the LCD and it looked excellent. Can't wait to see it once it's been rinsed through LR/PS  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Matt Ottosen on March 04, 2015, 10:14:24 PM
This will look amazing in a frame on your wall!

Correctomundo Matt. I'm thinking a 30"x40" in a custom frame over the mantle. I guess I need to get a mantle.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Pretty good shot Matt considering the 1 mile distance, the air was nice and clear.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Scott Youmans on March 04, 2015, 10:25:22 PM
Pretty good shot Matt considering the 1 mile distance, the air was nice and clear.

Thank you, but it really is lemonade, Scott, lem-on-ade.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jay Beckman

Call Me Ishmael...
The "whale" no longer tasks me...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Jeff: I do like the way you framed your 737/moon shot!  It balances very well...

And you're right about your 787 shot.  That has sooooooo many unique elements! ;)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Jay Beckman on March 05, 2015, 12:18:54 AM
Call Me Ishmael...

It was a hoot to be with you Jay when your ox was finally gored. As I suspected, the quick look I had at your LCD foretold of the excellent image to come. Well done sir.

Quote from: Jay Beckman on March 05, 2015, 12:46:07 AM
Jeff: I do like the way you framed your 737/moon shot!  It balances very well...

And you're right about your 787 shot.  That has sooooooo many unique elements! ;)

Thanks kind sir. Gratefully my brain engaged for a brief moment and I turned the camera to achieve a portrait framing. I think it helped to mitigate the woeful lack of my optical reach. The image I've posted is still a serious crop; however, my aging 5D3 sensor helped keep the pixels happy as I mangled them in post processing. I sent my dad the 787 shot and he sent me a reply early this morning asking where the Dreamliner was in the photo. Apparently, all the "unique elements" where too distracting for him  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

Was able to catch her departure this morning (appreciate American Airlines for having her spend the night here).  Got the classic 'tower-crossing' shot on her departure this morning.

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Dave S. on March 05, 2015, 10:28:04 AM
Was able to catch her departure this morning (appreciate American Airlines for having her spend the night here).  Got the classic 'tower-crossing' shot on her departure this morning.

Very nice, Dave!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Dave S.

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on March 05, 2015, 06:32:41 AM
Quote from: Jay Beckman on March 05, 2015, 12:18:54 AM
Call Me Ishmael...

It was a hoot to be with you Jay when your ox was finally gored. As I suspected, the quick look I had at your LCD foretold of the excellent image to come. Well done sir.

Quote from: Jay Beckman on March 05, 2015, 12:46:07 AM
Jeff: I do like the way you framed your 737/moon shot!  It balances very well...

Thanks kind sir. Gratefully my brain engaged for a brief moment and I turned the camera to achieve a portrait framing. I think it helped to mitigate the woeful lack of my optical reach. The image I've posted is still a serious crop; however, my aging 5D3 sensor helped keep the pixels happy as I mangled them in post processing. I sent my dad the 787 shot and he sent me a reply early this morning asking where the Dreamliner was in the photo. Apparently, all the "unique elements" where too distracting for him  ;D

[nerd on]

I like that in both your shots, just a little below 3:00 on a clock face, the vortex from the outer edge of the left wing's (pilot's perspective) is visible at the sky/moon edge.  At first glance on Jeff's shot, I thought it was a major jpg artifact.  I should have known better!  When I saw Jay's shot, and they both contain the same visual oddity, I looked a bit closer and realized it was refraction caused by the vortex.

[nerd off]
www.roxphotography.com

Jeff D. Welker

I simultaneous damn thee and genuflect in your general direction. Awesome, awesome image David. A classic for sure. Your hard work of tracking this bad boy has definitely paid-off - in spades. Very well done young man.  ;)  ;D  :o
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

Quote from: Matt Ottosen on March 05, 2015, 10:34:16 AM

Very nice, Dave!

Thanks Matt.  I'm really starting to like the tail colors on this livery.  The gradients they have in the reds & blues, plus the shading/gradation caused by the empennage's curves and recesses, is where it's at for me.
www.roxphotography.com

Dave S.

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on March 05, 2015, 10:36:31 AM
I simultaneous damn thee and genuflect in your general direction. Awesome, awesome image David. A classic for sure. Your hard work of tracking this bad boy has definitely paid-off - in spades. Very well done young man.  ;)  ;D  :o

Thanks Jeff.  Was/is more luck than any notion of "...hard work..." on my part.
www.roxphotography.com