Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Matt Ottosen

Airbus A319-111
Frontier Airlines
Jo-Jo the Grizzly Bear Cub

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Jonathan Navarro

Anna M. Wood

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Scott Youmans

The Beast
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

AA
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Hercules - perfect name for these birds
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

^^^^^^ Nice salvo from PHX Scott. The BA 747 has a 3D look for sure  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jeff!  Here's another shot of that same C-130.  Anyone know the designation of these Missouri Air Guard 130s?  Pretty sure it's an "H" but it appears to have some mods.  I've seen them around from time to time but don't know anything about the sensors.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Scott Youmans on April 07, 2014, 09:04:23 PM
Thanks Jeff!  Here's another shot of that same C-130.  Anyone know the designation of these Missouri Air Guard 130s?  Pretty sure it's an "H" but it appears to have some mods.  I've seen them around from time to time but don't know anything about the sensors.

Yeah, just a C-130H, the mods are mostly all related to defensive systems (the "stubs" along the side of the rear fuselage are mounting points for the DIRCM IR jamming system and the "horns" above the cockpit just IR sensors) and do not change the designation. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Is that one of your APU's sticking out of the Herc? In a unique way, your on nearly every 130 ride - vicariously through your APU's or otherwise  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Jeff, yes indeed.  I'm responsible for the commercial versions but it's basically the same APU.  Similar units are also used in the P-3, 727 and old 737s.  Lots of military and commercial ground start carts as well.  Designed in the fifties.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Joe Copalman on April 07, 2014, 10:07:13 PM

Yeah, just a C-130H, the mods are mostly all related to defensive systems (the "stubs" along the side of the rear fuselage are mounting points for the DIRCM IR jamming system and the "horns" above the cockpit just IR sensors) and do not change the designation. 
Thanks Joe, I dug around on the internet but didn't come up with much on the systems.  I remember the OV-10 ended up with the little IR sensors among many other A/C.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

I almost brought up the example of the AN/ALQ-144 on the OV-10s and the little built-up "mound" they added to mount the "disco ball" on.  The DIRCM is a bit more robust than that.  It's not actually mounted on the bird in your shot, but it's two small balls on either side, similar to FLIR turrets that - if I understand the system correctly - slew to the direction of an incoming threat and work their magic through some kind of dazzling/disorientation of the seeker. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ