Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

trmphoto

Sky Harbor Tower shortly after sunset (still under construction - 12/22/2005).  Unfortunately, the light faded fast and I wasn't able to catch any aircraft passing by the tower.

Joe Copalman

Getting a shot just to get a shot of a particular aircraft really does nothing for me these days.  I've wanted to catch a Lynden L-100 for a long time, and when the opportunity finally presented itself today, I ultimately blew it.  Not knowing which runway it was coming in on, I went to the East Economy garage, which would allow me to catch it regardless of which runway it came in on.  Even if I had a scanner, there would not be enough time to reposition to a better spot.  Since the light at that time favors the south runways when shooting from the garage, I was hoping it would land south, but it landed on the north runway.  So yeah, I got it, but it's a backlit profile shot that I'm not excited about at all.  Had I gambled on the runway and gone to either Air Lane or 48th Street, I would have been rewarded for it.  Instead, I compromised on the location to play it safe, ultimately compromising the shot itself.  Oh well.  One to grow on.  Here's a mediocre shot of a rare visitor to Phoenix:

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Quote from: Joe Copalman on June 07, 2011, 10:54:42 PM
Getting a shot just to get a shot of a particular aircraft really does nothing for me these days.  I've wanted to catch a Lynden L-100 for a long time, and when the opportunity finally presented itself today, I ultimately blew it.  Not knowing which runway it was coming in on, I went to the East Economy garage, which would allow me to catch it regardless of which runway it came in on.  Even if I had a scanner, there would not be enough time to reposition to a better spot.  Since the light at that time favors the south runways when shooting from the garage, I was hoping it would land south, but it landed on the north runway.  So yeah, I got it, but it's a backlit profile shot that I'm not excited about at all.  Had I gambled on the runway and gone to either Air Lane or 48th Street, I would have been rewarded for it.  Instead, I compromised on the location to play it safe, ultimately compromising the shot itself.  Oh well.  One to grow on.  Here's a mediocre shot of a rare visitor to Phoenix:

Nice Joe, LAC brought the mail to use every week at Lajes Field. Nice to see them somewhere else.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

Jumbo-mother departure from PHX back in December.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

National Airlines 757 on final at PHX yesterday.  Can't say I'm a fan of mid-afternoon straight-overhead light, but man, what a livery.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

@ Joe - Considering the light you were fighting, that is a great image of a really cool looking livery. Well done big boy!
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

'ALLO GUV'NAH!

British Airways 747 on short finals at PHX:

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ