Sentimental Journey - Summer Tour 2009

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 13, 2009, 05:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Matt Ottosen

Well, like Joe said, I'm back on the plane! We're heading to Bakersfield in the morning and flying two rides. We'll then head to Shafter for the night. Saturday morning we'll head back to Bakersfield and take on a full fuel load. We'll then buzz the field at Shafter at whatever time they want, and then return to Falcon. The flight from Shafter is approx 2.5 hours. I'll keep Joe C. and Dave S. updated via text message.

The other fun little tidbit from today is that I signed my first autograph. The entire flight crew signed a photo of SJ at the request of a 100 year old man that used to be a mechanic on B-17s.

I did take my camera today, and I was able to catch the Cal Fire OV-10 Bronce departing Fox Field.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

jslugman

Quote from: Matt Ottosen on September 24, 2009, 09:00:47 PM
I did take my camera today, and I was able to catch the Cal Fire OV-10 Bronce departing Fox Field.

Psssshhh, there isn't anyone here that likes those old things... lol!  ;D

Thanks for the updates, sounds like a good time and a lifetime of memories.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

Hey gang,

I spoke with Matt this evening, and if all goes according to plan, SJ should be back at Falcon Field between 2:30 and 3pm tomorrow afternoon.  I've passed the list of names of everyone who replied to me to the Wing Leader, hoping to hear from him soon regarding getting everyone on the ramp.  It would probably work best if we all met outside the fence and went in as a single group, but I'll let y'all know when I get more details. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Had a really good day today.

We started early today. We got SJ ready and departed Fox Field around 8am. We landed in Bakersfield and flew two full rides. We then departed for Shafter (an eight mile trip). I flew as Loadmaster on all four flights.

We have a long day of flying tomorrow. We'll depart Shafter around 8am for Bakersfield. If we have a ride we'll fly it out of Bakersfield. Then we'll depart Bakersfield around 11am. We have to buzz the field at Shafter around 11:15am, and then we turn and head back to Falcon. It'll be a long flight home, but I'll have a good view. I have the entire nose all to myself, and it looks like I'll be getting more stick time!

It's been a great trip and it's sad that it's coming to an end, but it'll be good to get home. I'm looking forward to seeing y'all at Falcon Field tomorrow afternoon!

I'll do my best to get our PIC to make a fast and low pass, all you guys need to do is be ready for us.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Matt Ottosen

Gents, start your engines (we are)!

We'll be leaving Bakersfield about 11am. I'll see y'all soon!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Dave S.

Have a great flight!!  We'll see you in a few hours.

Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

My meager offerings are up in the Warbirds - SJ Thread...

Very nice to meet folks today and thank you to Matt for having us out to welcome him home!

Good Show!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Matt Ottosen

I am home!

What a blast the last 10 days have been!  It has been a lot of hard work, but completely worth every minute.  I'm already looking forward to next year!  Who's signing up and going with me?

We got up early today, and got out to Shafter while it was still early.  We wanted to get off the ground before it got too hot.  Shafter's longest runway is only 1 foot longer than our B-17s minimum requirements!  We got back to Bakersfield where I did the accounting on the last day of tour inside the FBO (a big thanks goes out to EPIC Jet Center at Bakersfield for taking us at the last minute).  At 10:45am we loaded up SJ for the last time.  We departed Bakersfield and headed for Shafter.  At 11:15am we buzzed Shafter's field twice (very low and very fast, I have video that I'll get posted).  After we buzzed the field we departed the area and turned towards Falcon Field.

I took the video, as mentioned above, and I took a few photos, but I really wanted to enjoy this flight.  I just sat in the nose and watched the world go by, it was amazing!  I did take my turn at the controls, and as able to log 1.0 hours of B-17G time today.  That brings my total B-17G time to 1.5 hours!

It was great to see so many people out at the hangar today to welcome us back, thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to be out there.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Our departure yesterday from Meadows Field (BFL, KBFL), Bakersfield, CA.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

BillOz

Hey Matt,

It's been good to have your almost daily reports from the trip.

Keep it up, and you'll that Private Pilot's ticket in the B-17.   How cool and unique would that be.   I realize you have to get single before multi, but it sounds cool.  Maybe they could let you log 4 hrs. single time for 1 hr. of 4 engine time.

That gives you 6 hrs., 'bout time to solo that thing isn't it?
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: BillOz on September 27, 2009, 09:29:36 PM
It's been good to have your almost daily reports from the trip.

'bout time to solo that thing isn't it?

I'm glad you enjoyed my tour updates.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to solo a B-17G, but I am willing to keep practicing my flying anytime they let me!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Our first pass at Shafter Airport (Minter Field) (MIT, KMIT), Shafter, CA.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jay Beckman

That's OutSTANDING!   :o

Listen to that wind noise build
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: FlyingPhotog on September 28, 2009, 05:38:46 PM
That's OutSTANDING!   :o

Listen to that wind noise build

Thank you, it was a lot of fun!

I have one more video, of our second pass, that I'll post tomorrow evening.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ