Dave S.

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Chris V

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Daniel DeSart

Chris Kennedy

I have a question for one of you F-16 experts. What is that sound that they make just before touching down? I would describe it as kind of a high pitched "wheep."
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

jslugman

Valve that regulates the bleed air operating the burner can (turkey feathers).
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Dave S.

Adding a little more detail to James' comment.  I spoke with a ex-F-16 driver a while back regarding this same sound.  It's caused when adjustments are made to the engine's exhaust nozzle (i.e. turkey feathers).  The Pratt & Whitney powered F-16's use an air-motor driving a mechanical linkage to regulate the nozzle position.  High pressure compressor discharge air is used to drive the air-motor.

From a thread on the F-16.net forum I found this entry by 'That_Engine_Guy' which pretty much agrees with what that ex-F-16 driver told me, but with a bit more detail.

".. the .. noise you hear when Viper (or Eagle) flies overhead is exhaust air from the CENC (Convergent Exhaust Nozzle Control) on the engine. It is an air motor that moves the nozzle through mechanical (Jack-screw) actuators. (Kinda like a high speed air ratchet) Now you know it is a Pratt before you can see it!

The Nozzle positions to maintain Fan (N1) RPM and EPR (Engine Pressure Ratio) as the engine runs but also has to contend with pressures/feedback from the engine's control system. This is why it varies so much during most operation. MIL is where the nozzle is most steady at closed. At MAX the nozzle is almost 100% open but continually adjusts as flow through the engine varies. Inlet Temperature, air pressure, humidity, etc all affect the performance of the Fan/Compressor and combustion. The nozzle will constantly adjust to keep Fan RPM, Stall Margin, and pressures within normal limits."
www.roxphotography.com

Chris Kennedy

Thanks, James and Dave. I understand now.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

Here's another from a recent visit to Luke.  Quite pleased with how well I lined it with the centerline, considering he was taxiing at the time.

I think the pilot just had an idea, given the light bulb that just lit off on the tail.

www.roxphotography.com

Daniel DeSart

Daniel DeSart

Brian Lockett

Former 57th Wing Aggressors from Nellis AFB on approach to land on Runway 03 Right at Luke AFB today.

General Dynamics F-16C Block 42H 89-2148

General Dynamics F-16C Block 42D 88-0548

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.