rear inlet door on F/A-18 super bugs?

Started by jslugman, November 13, 2010, 06:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

OK, I've gone stir-crazy trying to find info and hope someone here can help out. When the Super Bugs were at the EOR area I photographed these little angled doors on the top/rear part of the fuselage along with three angled pieces on each side. They're not the new-fangled LEXR-area speed brakes. Can't find anything on them. Posted is my image from a horribly backlit shot as well as a link to another in much better light from the Aviation Nation report of Richard Seaman.

Can someone point me to what they are?

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Nellis/2009/Highlights/index.html  About 3/4 of the way down on the left.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

cpasley

I have never noticed those before ,from Seamans shot they look like octagons but your shot makes them look more like an inlet so in that case id guess that they are just that and they seem to be positioned right above the engine but are too small to be an aux inlet ,so you got me on that one  ???

Joe Copalman

Supplemental inlet for takeoffs like the "shutters" on F-5s?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Partial update:

The "tubes" seen in the above photo are part of the new Environmental Control System ECS and referred to as ECS pipes. There are 5 on each side and it appears they began surfacing on lot 27 and up Super Hornets so newer than BuNo's 166598. If you have shots from the rear you might get one set visible. Also, a Google search of "ECS pipes" will show some good examples, the scale modeler community is kick-ass for these kinds of details. There is no clear consensus about retrofitting earlier aircraft that I can find, folks are all over both sides of that issue.

Still working on the funny shaped doors but my guess is that Joe's on the right track. Will let you know what I find.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Jay Beckman

I guess I owe you an apology James.  I thought you were just seeing things...   :D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

jslugman

Quote from: Jay Beckman on November 14, 2010, 08:22:08 PM
I guess I owe you an apology James.  I thought you were just seeing things...   :D

Well it's not like I'd been standing in the sun all day... lol.  ;D
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY