B-29 Superfortress "Fifi" Coming to Cutter Aviation DVT - Nov. 14-18

Started by Ryan Keough, November 05, 2010, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Ryan Keough

Hey everyone,

We (Cutter Aviation) finally got confirmation earlier this week that the Commemorative Air Force's B-29 Superfortress will be on display and giving rides from Cutter Aviation at Phoenix Deer Valley Airport (DVT) from Sunday, November 14th through Thursday, November 18th -- and even cooler is the fact that the CAF Arizona Wing will be bringing the B-17 and B-25 up for display and rides with it for the duration!  Bomber heaven!

All the details we have may be found at our blog post from today at: http://hub.cutteraviation.com/bid/54560/Worlds-Only-Flying-B-29-Superfortress-Visiting-Cutter-Aviation-DVT including costs to tour and to ride on the B-29 (save your pennies!).  If you have a color printer and can help spread the word by hanging posters at the local hangouts, you can find a 8.5x17 PDF poster to print out at: http://www.azcaf.org/pages/press/B-29_poster.pdf

I'm going to go remote and move in to a temporary office at DVT that week for sure!  Should be awesome!!!

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Keough
Tucson, AZ

jslugman

Ned and I will be up to see her next week, any schedule updates appreciated.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

Hey Ryan - any idea what time it will be departing KDVT on the 18th? 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ryan Keough

Quote from: Joe Copalman on November 08, 2010, 11:39:30 AM
Hey Ryan - any idea what time it will be departing KDVT on the 18th? 

Not sure yet Joe... as with any touring group, it will probably depend on time required for any last minute flights, refueling and crew & equipment loading -- so they'll probably have a better idea by that Tuesday or Wednesday.  Remember that they are planning to at least perform a few afternoon flights with passengers during their stay, so if you want to see them fly, keep your afternoons open :)  As I know more from them in regards to their flight times and departure plans, I will pass it along.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Keough
Tucson, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Schedule of events for Sunday, November 14, from the Wing Leader of the Arizona Wing:

• 10:30am - Sentimental Journey and Maid in the Shade scheduled to arrive at DVT
  • Noon - Fifi scheduled to arrive at DVT
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Chris Kennedy

Confirmation from the PIO of the CAF B-29/B-24 Squadron at 5:20 this evening on WIX that Fifi is due to depart Long Beach around 9 AM Pacific time and arrive DVT around noon our time.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Chris Kennedy

I will be. I plan to get there around 10:00 or so and stay 'til whenever. Depends on how much action there is. I think Fifi only made two flights in Long Beach, one yesterday and one today, both at 4:00 PM.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

cpasley

Jbong

Should be real good. They will be using  the south runway since it's the longest and will have the sun at our back. I will be there with bells on. Should be Anglos show. See you there.

Jason

Chris Kennedy

Quote from: Chris Pasley on November 13, 2010, 07:19:06 PM
Would the observation deck be the best spot to shoot from?

The deck is a great place to shoot takeoffs, since it's located just about in the center of the south runway. It's less useful for landings, unless they land very long. Usually, by the time they reach the section of the runway opposite the deck, they are slowed down quite a bit, although when the Collings B-24 landed, they carried the nose wheel off the ground for much of the landing roll.

If they are using the 25 runways, you can park along 7th Street (east side, for those not familiar with the area) and get them as they are approaching, particularly in the afternoon. You can't park on 19th Avenue (west side), but you could park nearby and walk if you wanted landing shots from that end of the 7's.

The deck is also a good place to get them taxiing by either to takeoff or after landing.

If you have ramp access, you could probably walk down toward the approach end and get good landing shots. I'm not sure how strict they are about people wandering around on the ramp though, even if you have legal access.

It's going to be interesting how they handle the ramp parking and movements with three pretty large airplanes.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

cholubaz

I plan on being there. I think I'll try and get there by 9am. I usually have my flight lesson on Sun at 7am but the plane has been down for 6 weeks now.

Look for me :-)
Short Shaved Head
Probably wearing a Chief's Hoody

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
Pilot flying out of KDVT or KGEU
Flying a 2003 Piper Archer III N354MA (DVT)
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)
Co-Host of the intherpatternpodcast

Chris Kennedy

Quote from: cholubaz on November 13, 2010, 11:08:29 PM
I plan on being there. I think I'll try and get there by 9am. I usually have my flight lesson on Sun at 7am but the plane has been down for 6 weeks now.

Look for me :-)
Short Shaved Head
Probably wearing a Chief's Hoody

Cheers,
Chris

Sounds like there's going to be a lot of us Chris'es there.  ;)

I'll probably be there about the same time.

Blue Jeans, gray jacket, black hat, glasses.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Matt Ottosen

I'll be there in my CAF uniform, I'm going to be shooting the arrivals from the runway!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.