News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Affordable CF cards in the Valley.

Started by Joe Copalman, November 01, 2010, 05:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

I'm looking to add another 4GB or 8GB CF card to my arsenal before our El Centro trip this Friday and was just wondering where the most affordable, quality CF cards are to be found.  I checked out Best Buy (4GB for $60), Fry's (a mix of sizes by a bunch of manufacturers I have never heard of, some very reasonably-priced, but I'm guessing that has to do with manufacturer names like "Patriot," "Kingston," and "Transcend"), and Tempe Camera (8GB for $100).  I keep hearing people talk about how cheap CF cards are these days, but I'm just not seeing it out there.  Where should I be looking?

Thanks!

Joe
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Bubak

I use google and buy on-line 95% of my gear...use SanDisk cards for years, never problem.

Paul Dumm

I hate to say this joe but, Wal-mart looks the most affordable
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

cpasley

Hey Joe if you can make it over to Fry's electronics (on t-bird) with me before Friday I can get you the hook up on their employee discount ,which is usually pretty substantial ,one of the benefits of working there for over 4 years is I still have a lot of friends that are still there plus my ex  :-X ,but if you would like to check it out just let me know ,I am working every day till Friday but I get off at 1:30pm

You can call or text just keep in mind my ringer is broken and it only vibrates so I may not hear right away but I will respond
(602) 465-7153

Rob Silliman

Quote from: Bubak on November 01, 2010, 05:48:38 PM
I use google and buy on-line 95% of my gear...use SanDisk cards for years, never problem.

2nd for SanDisk cards.  Never had an issue w/ any of them.

cpasley

Quote from: Rob Silliman on November 01, 2010, 07:14:48 PM
Quote from: Bubak on November 01, 2010, 05:48:38 PM

2nd for SanDisk cards.  Never had an issue w/ any of them.

When I did work at fry's it was universaly known that sandisk did make some of the best storage devices ,I never minded paying a bit extra and they rewarded me in the end ,hence my sandisk 4GB microdrive ,approx 5 years old and the size of a cracker but it does still work ,most of the time ,lol

jslugman

Another thumbs-up for SanDisk though I replace mine when they're a couple of years old.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Jay Beckman

Costco now has 8Gb Sandisk cards on occasion.  They're not the Extreme IV fire-breathers but you really only need that kind of throughput for video.

They work fine for stills. Even at 10 FPS.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

cpasley

Thats one reason I like the fact my camera uses SD ,its pretty cheap ,I bought a 8GB class 4 at Frys (with discount) for like a little over $10

Stephen Marshall

I got 2 Sandisk 4GB cards at costco for $30. That was over a year ago, but it may be worth another look!
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Dave S.

A couple of things you might consider when buying cards are: speed and quality.  I found the website below that has a nice performance review of various cards.  Doesn't really speak to the quality issue, but does provide a nice overview on performance.  There's a pull-down menu that you can use to select your camera model, and from there you can review the performance of various camera/card combos (mostly Canon & Nikon cameras, along with one Sony model).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

- Dave

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

wingsnstuff

jslugman

Good point Dave. I know with some older DSLRs I could "overbuy" on write speed that my camera didn't support and have a card with speed I couldn't use.

Then again I remember when write speeds for PCMCIA cards was measured in minutes.  :-X
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"