1974 - 2024

Main Menu

EAA AirVenture 2010

Started by Jay Beckman, August 03, 2010, 08:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillOz

Jay,

Nice set of shots.

Agree that to operate a civilian Harrier, you'd have to have a sponsor, and what better one to have than an Oil Company.  Now they need to incorporate it into a commercial, with the Harrier landing at their gas station to fill up.  Of course having one pump dedicated to Jet-A just for the occasion when a harrier is in the area, might not be an efficient use of pumps, but they could always fill it up with Diesel every couple fillups.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

wingsnstuff

The photograph of the two P-38 in a split break is awesome.  Was Glacier Girl one of them?

Jay Beckman

@ Bill: That would make for a very clever commercial.  Run it locally where an airshow is taking place and I bet you'd hook a few more folks into attending.

@ Vance:  Glacier Girl and Ruff Stuff were the P-38s on hand last week.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Dave S.

Jay,

Some excellent stuff from the show this year, very nicely executed!  Passing on this year's show left me with reminiscing about the great time I had last year.

Definitely on the 'To-do-again' list.  Wonder if they'll bring Space Ship Two in the coming years?

- Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Jay Beckman

AirVenture was on the ragged edge of not happening at all due to the record rainfall they had had in Wisconsin.  Some even speculated that had they had steady rain on August 25th, they might have called off the entire thing for this year.  It was that close...

One can certainly hope regarding SS2 for next year.

It will be interesting to see how things go in 2011 given the p*ssing contest between EAA and the DC-3 folks, the weather this year, the lack of experienced volunteers early in the week (some never even got there leaving some operational areas either under-staffed or run by less experienced folks .. this lead to some awkward moments and ruffled feathers) and, the fact that EAA will soon have a new President.

The only constant is change...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

jslugman

Excellent stuff Jay, looks like time well spent.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Jay Beckman

Thanks James...

I don't think there's such a thing as time wasted at Oshkosh.  Even when nothing is happening, something is happening.     :D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Something a little different...

(Didn't see a need to start a new thread in Warbirds for just one image...)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

wingsnstuff

Wow!  All the Mohawks I've seen in the past were Army Green.  Still active or privately owned? 

Joe Copalman

Has to be privately owned, the OV-1s were retired in the mid-1990s.  Most of the Army's Mohawks switched to the all-gray paint scheme in the late 1980s.  Much better-looking I think.

And you have no idea how much I'm drooling over that shot Jay.  Mohawks are very high on my must-shoot list.  It's a shame the Air Force threw a hissy-fit that prevented the Army from using the OV-1 to its full potential. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Mr. Clay Lacy's exceedingly rare Douglas DC-2

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

One old gal who still has a twinkle in her eye!
The Douglas DC-3 "Flagship Detroit"

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Old Time Rock & Roll...

Complete Gallery HERE on my Zenfolio site...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Dale "Snort" Snodgrass and Jerry "Jive" Kirby are two of the highest time fighter jocks that have ever walked the planet.
Both turn up regularly in hoary old fighters participating in Heritage or Legacy Flights (Snort flew the F-86 at AirVenture) but this is something a little different.

They have been contracted by Morane-Saulnier as Demo and Instructor pilots to teach Turbine Conversion, Aerobatics, Formation Techniques
and Basic Air Combat Maneuvering to folks able to pony up for an MS 760 (aka the "Paris Jet")

This act is known around airshow circles as "Snort & Jive" but the official name is Team MS 760.
Not what you'd call a "go like hell with hair on fire" routine but both are such good sticks that you simply can't take your eyes away when they fly.

Close Formation Work

Jerry Kirby

Dale Snodgrass
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Hawker Sea Fury on the go...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ