15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Easter Earthquake

Started by Jay Beckman, April 04, 2010, 04:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Beckman

Anyone feel it?

Registered at 5.1 in El Centro and it also closed Disneyland.  Didn't feel a thing in Chandler (at least I don't think we felt it.)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Stephen Marshall

6.9 in Baja Cali.  I had a friend who said she felt it, as did a few others. I, however, didn't feel it while I was over in Gilbert
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Matt Ottosen

I didn't feel it, but there are a lot of posts on Facebook of people in the Phoenix area that did.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

BillOz

I didn't feel it, but heard some noise from the backyard pool, and went to look, and the pool water looked like someone had done a cannonball into the pool, and water was still all wavy and splashed out of the pool along the edges and corners.  I had first thought some neighbor kid had thrown some rocks in, but the water waves were way to big to have come from rocks, and I looked in the pool and couldn't find anything, so it may have been the earthquake.  Cool.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Ryan Keough

We were fortunate to be sitting quietly in the living room, so we felt it pretty clearly.  I have been feeling pretty cruddy today with a bit of a cold, so at first I thought I was just getting sicker and was swaying on my own... but then I saw the plants swaying.  My wife sitting next to me didn't really feel anything until I mentioned that I thought we were having a quake... of course, she lived in L.A. for a year, so it's run of the mill for her.  It was my first ever though! 

Wonder what it felt like at PHX tower?  Do you think it's worse up there?  I know I'd probably be freaked out for the afternoon!

Thanks,
Ryan Keough
Ryan Keough
Tucson, AZ

Matt Ottosen

The AP is now reporting:

LOS ANGELES – Seismologists have raised the preliminary magnitude of an earthquake in northern Baja California from 6.9 to 7.2.

U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones says the new magnitude of the 3:40 p.m. Sunday earthquake is still an estimate.

The quake centered south of California's border with Mexico was widely felt, swaying buildings as far away as San Diego, Los Angeles and Arizona.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

cpasley

I was sitting here reading the latest posts when I felt my chair rockin and being a native of Long Beach I knew what an earthquake felt like so I jumped up and ran to the kitchen asking if the rest of my family felt that and they just looked at me funny ,I swear felt like I was on drugs but minutes later it came on the news and proved I wasnt crazy after all  ;D

CJPalmer

I didn't feel it, but I did notice the ceiling fan and chandelier swinging. The pool was sloshing as well.

Chris V

We felt it down here in Maricopa, pool was sloshing around and light fixtures were swaying. I lived 3 years in L.A. so I knew right off the bat it was a quake, nothing like the Northridge quake though I was a lot closer (30 miles) from the center of that one.

jslugman

Felt it down here in Sahuarita. My monitor was moving back and forth. Felt very much like others we were in during our time in Alaska except for the BIG one in '02 (7.9) which got us scrambling for cover.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"