Gathering info on Vietnam Era aviation photograph

Started by jslugman, January 10, 2010, 02:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

Gents,

My lovely mother was sifting through a second-hand shop in Tennessee and found the print you see below then had it framed and gave it to me for Christmas. Now (for me) the fun starts: gathering info about the aircraft contained within and what the (possible) circumstances would be for such an image. With your help we've been able to ID the following aircraft:

• C-123K
  • AC-130
  • AC-119K
  • C-47
  • O-2
  • OV-10
  • T-28
  • A-1
  • U-10
  • Huey
  • A-37

Joe and I have been discussing it and it may be from the 1st SOW at Hurlburt Field? Would love to hear what you guys have to say.

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

When you first told me about the lineup of aircraft, I thought Hurlburt for sure, but that red dirt looks like a million photos of Vietnam that I've seen.  I can't find anything that puts all of these aircraft on the same base at the same time.  The AC-47s and AC-119s were co-located at Nha Trang and Phan Rang (a few were based elsewhere, but not together), the AC-130s were concentrated in Thailand, the A-37s were concentrated at Bien Hoa, the O-2s and OV-10s were based all over the damned place.  I'll poke around and show this photos to some other guys I know, see if we can get a time/place/occasion.  For now, just a few notes:

The "O-1" in the photo is not an O-1.  It's too big compared to the O-2 behind it.  Looks like a Cessna U-17 or Fairchild AU-23 (Pilatus PC-6), or Helio AU-24.  Actually, not sure the U-17 had three-bladed props, but the "snout" doesn't look long enough to be the Pilatus.   

The C-47 and C-119 are both gunships, AC-47 and AC-119K.  The C-123 appears to be a K-model as well, but not the AC-123K gunship.  Given the company it's keeping on the ramp, I'm assuming it was one of the -123s used for the "Candlestick" night-FAC mission. 

The T-28 (most likely a D) is hard to place, as we were not flying them operationally when most of the other aircraft would have been in-service.  Maybe Thai or Laotian?  Like I said, if we trained either at Hurlburt, that would explain one being there for a photo like this - but now I'm not sure this is Hurlburt.

Very cool photo, thanks for posting it.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

I was at Hurlburt just over a year ago, it's all white sand all over the place.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

jslugman

OK Joe, you definitely earned the nickname "Highway" on this one. Great info and I'll update the caption as more is learned.

Many thanks.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Joe Copalman

Not a problem James.

After probing a bit more, the date of this photo has to be after 1970, as that is when the UH-1N entered service with the 20th SOS "Green Hornets."  As far as I know, these guys were the only Air Force squadron using twin Hueys.  While they weren't based at NKP, a lot of the air support mission for MACV-SOG operations in CCN (Command and Control - North) were flown out of there, and the Green Hornets flew SOG support almost exclusively.   

The "O-1" is most likely a Helio U-10, not the AU-24 (which was more or less a U-10 with a side-firing minigun).

Any chance you could make out the roundel on the wing of that T-28?  That's really the fly in the ointment here.  If it's an RTAF roundel, that would really strengthen the case for this being NKP.

Also - I just discovered a connection I have never made before, and it kind of gives this photo an Arizona tie-in if it was taken at NKP.  NKP was home to the 56th Special Operations Wing, which went on to become the 56th Fighter Wing at Luke.  Pretty cool lineage, under my nose the whole time, but I just now put it together. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Sad to say the roundel is pretty much just a lighter area that the rest of that wing, no definite color/shape to it.

Does the A-1 one look like an AD-5 to you?
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Joe Copalman

Yup.  A-1E with the "blue room" in back.

Does the roundel on the T-28 look like it might have the "wings" for the bars on the US insignia, or just a circle?  The RTAF's roundel is just a white circle with red and blue circles inside it.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Been looking at Google Maps to get a feel for the orientation of the ramps, runways, and taxiways at a few of the bases.  Nothing conclusive, but some really interested stuff.  Nakhon Phanom seems to have several derelict paved areas - hard to tell where this shot would have been taken if it was taken there.  Soil color seems to be a match though.

Bien Hoa is amazing to look at on Google Maps, simply on account of sheer size.  There are far more revetments, shelters, and ramp space than the current Vietnamese Air Force would ever use.  Kind of spooky, actually.  Also, the current image on Google Maps shows some Su-27s taxiing.  Anyway, soil color is a close match for the photo as well, and it seems like a much more likely candidate for the photo given the orientation of the ramps and taxiways, but I cannot locate the tower, so I'm not sure where to look as far as a likely photo spot.

Nha Trang is another ghost town like Bien Hoa, with a lot of evidence that it was once a huge wartime airbase.  One of the runways seems to have been destroyed and there are several MiG-21s packed close together - looks like they're being stored.  Anyway, soil color is a bit lighter, and again, I can't find the tower (no shadows to go by).  Like NKP, a lot of the former ramps and taxiways seem to have been neglected or destroyed, so it's hard to find where the photo may have been taken in relation to the current layout. 

I'm going to shoot an email to the Air Commando Association with a link to this thread, hopefully someone there will be able to shed some light on this.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Another thing - not sure it was taken from a tower.  If it was, it had to have been HUGE.  Possibly shot from a helo?

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

OK sebt the Photo to my dad, He thinks it is at Herlburt. He said that it looks like Grass (some of it dead) with the white sand. Also he said that the C-123 is a 'J' molde and the "boxcar" used by SOG as the rear is black. He sent this photo of Herlburt today as the photo w/Aircraft is about 40 years ago.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jay Beckman

Interesting find Paul.  Sure looks like it could be the same patch of runup area.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Yeah,that really looks like Hurlburt.  A much better match than any of the three airbases in SEA I've looked at on Google Maps.  Dirt still looks a little too red in the original photo though, but that could just be aging of the photo. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Paul, I'm pretty certain the -123 is a K, as that was the model with the underwing J85s.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

The photo isn't in the best of shape so take colors with a grain of salt. I color corrected while shooting so the photo you see matches the photo. Also took the framed print apart and some ^&(&&%@$#^ glued the photo to the backer board. If there's anything written on the back of it it's a goner.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Paul Dumm

Joe, you are right. I ask my dad about the "J and K" and he said the J's were wing tip jets. And the K's were under wing.