PASM Night Shoot, April 28, 2018

Started by Joe Copalman, April 29, 2018, 12:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

CONSTELLATIONS

Massive thanks again to John for the set-up, this was a great shoot.  Bummed so many folks couldn't make it, this was really one of those visits that could easily be remembered simply as "THAT shoot" down the road.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

NOCTURNAL NAVAL CAT

This one was a bit of a tricky lighting problem, as the Lynx is positioned so close to the barracks in the background that it's impossible to throw any kind of side-on light onto it without illuminating the background as well.  Since I was shooting for a high-contrast image with no added light on the background, I opted for a front-lit shot,  Initially I wasn't too jazzed about the shadows along the rear portion of the cab, but I think it adds a bit of dramatic contrast and wound up being able to tweak it advantageously.  This might actually be a good subject for constant-on lights at the front and back of the aircraft.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ross Dinsdale

The next night shoot at PASM I may need to follow you around Joe.  I am envious of your light painting skills.  That Lynx shot is super sweet. 
Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada
Comments and Critique are always welcome.

"Chair Juggling Extraordinaire"

Ross Dinsdale

A Sabre and His Friends

5 shot HDR composite (-2,-1,0,+1,+2) using HDR Efex Pro 2, followed by using Silver Efex Pro 2 to convert to B/W image.

The golden/blue hour is probably my favorite portion of our night shoots at PASM.   I tried to shoot 5  exposure brackets until I completely lost light all together.  

Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada

Ross Dinsdale

Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada

Chris V

Really great images so far from the shoot!!

scottcolbath

Nice stuff guys. I'm still home, sick. Another PASM night shoot missed.

So, the lady fighter pilots that were out there.....Was Olga Custudio among them?

And Ross, I see you went out and bought one of those black and white only DSLRs.  ;D

S.C.

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Joe Copalman on April 29, 2018, 01:35:49 PM
NOCTURNAL NAVAL CAT

This one was a bit of a tricky lighting problem, as the Lynx is positioned so close to the barracks in the background that it's impossible to throw any kind of side-on light onto it without illuminating the background as well.  Since I was shooting for a high-contrast image with no added light on the background, I opted for a front-lit shot,  Initially I wasn't too jazzed about the shadows along the rear portion of the cab, but I think it adds a bit of dramatic contrast and wound up being able to tweak it advantageously.  This might actually be a good subject for constant-on lights at the front and back of the aircraft.

The side lighting and shadows are what makes the shot Joe.  It adds depth, texture and interest to the image.  The old building is a perfect backdrop.  I think it is one of your best night shots to date...

Anna M. Wood

Well done guys....

Along with Joe's Lynx image, Ross' front view of the F-86 and Harvey's Prowler shot are spectacular.    :) :) :)

Was a fun shoot.   I have a few images I like and need to process.  Ross and I tried a few different things with aircraft tails.  Still not sure if it worked but was great to try out and experiment.

A big shout out to John Bezosky for arranging the shoot.  It is a highlight for me to get to shoot out at PASM after hours.

Brian Corbett

Had a great time with everyone, as usual, even if Joe did order kiddy chicken nuggets!  ;D ;D Huge thanks to John Bezosky for allowing us to play!!

Not a Plane

Cheshire

Model Citizen

Supporting Star

Not a Colt

Say Ahhhhh

You... It
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Joe Copalman

Damn, everyone brought their A-game this weekend! 

Ross, that Sabre Hog shot is out of this world.

Harvey, that Prowler shot is such a good mix of natural moonlight and subtly-added light-painting.

Brian, you weren't joking about the 787 engine shot, that is awesome.  And if you're going to make fun of my chicken strips that came with broccoli and garlic toast, you might want to order something that ISN'T on the Star Wars menu before you do.   ;)

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

NIGHT RAIDER

Was chasing a film noir vibe on this, as I think the lines of the Raider kind of beg for it.  I did a color version as well that I really like, but this one felt less like something I'd normally post, so I went with this one.

AMERICAN THUNDER

It was frustratingly windy the hour or so before sunset and for maybe 20 minutes after, but it eventually died down, thankfully.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ross Dinsdale

Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada