15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

AZ Department of Public (DPS) Aircraft

Started by Jeff D. Welker, April 26, 2018, 07:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

My Friends:

I took the awful iPhone photo attached below at Sky Harbor on 04/25/2018.  A quick review of the FAA registry shows it is owned by AZ DPS.  It looks like a MC-12 platform to me, but I temper that conclusion with the knowledge that I'm the dumbest guy in the room when it comes to aircraft identification.  The FAA registry says the plane (SN: FL-432) was manufactured in 2005.  While it doesn’t list a prior owner, I can’t imagine DPS has been flying this for 15 years.  I’m guessing (emphasis on guessing) that they got this through some type of military exchange or surplus program?  I just don’t understand why DPS needs this type of sophisticated surveillance aircraft?  Maybe they have some Federal grant money burning a hole in their pocket and want to play secret agent?  I suppose they could also be coordinating some type of DEA or ICE work that justifies such an asset?

Any who, I figured if anyone would know what is up with this airframe, it would be folks from AzAP.

Your thoughts...
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on April 26, 2018, 07:24:39 AM

temper that conclusion with the knowledge that I'm the dumbest guy in the room when it comes to aircraft identification.

Sorry Jeff, I'm not letting you steal that thunder from me.  ;D

S.C.

wingsnstuff

Joe Copalman

Seems a bit excessive for an agency tasked with highway safety.  Something with the speed of a King Air could make them far more responsive to things like Lojack hits on stolen vehicles, and the sensor could all them to coordinate intercepts with ground units from longer ranges, but is this really something we NEED? 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Thanks Harvard and Joseph for you comments and info.  Far be it from me to second guess the fine folks at AZ DPS, it does seem like overkill to make sure I'm not speeding in the school zone near my house  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I'll temper myself and avoid a rant but unfortunately, certain tasks (which maybe should be done at the Federal level) have trickled down to state and local law enforcement.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com