News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

F-117 News

Started by Chris Janes, May 06, 2016, 04:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Janes

I often wondered where the F-117's went after they were "unofficially" retired. It appears they were stashed away at Tonopah and now they might be "officially" retired from service. If they get sent to DM as the article suggests I wonder if they will be flown to DM or sent via C-5 or C-17. Will be a good photo op if they do get flown into DM(during the day), but I guess that could be sometime before that might happen.

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2016/May%202016/May%2006%202016/A-Real-Retirement-for-the-Nighthawk.aspx

Jay Beckman

From what little I know, they are stored "wingless" so I'm guessing they'd come by truck...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

They've actually been in active storage, so they have been flying semi-regularly over the NTTR.  There have been a few photos and videos of them on the web over the past few years, most of it tiny-little-dot-far-far-away kind of stuff. 

That said, my hunch is that they'll be disassembled for transport to D-M, either on a C-5/C-17 or NASA's Guppy.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

Chances are they will just be chopped up into little pieces where they are and dumped into some deep dark missal silo hole some place.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.