Boeing CH-46 and its mobile airfield

Started by KeithS, October 12, 2014, 03:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithS

These two are from 2003 featuring the USS Tarawa, LHA-1, now decommissioned.  Primitive camera, primitive weather.

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

KeithS

I appreciate the comments, Joe and Scott.

Dave S.

I especially like that top shot too.  The well deck is open and flooded...half expecting to see some Amtracs or LCAC's to be emerging/embarking.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

KeithS

Quote from: Dave S. on October 13, 2014, 03:33:31 PM
I especially like that top shot too.  The well deck is open and flooded...half expecting to see some Amtracs or LCAC's to be emerging/embarking.

Ask and you shall....

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Dave S.

Quote from: KeithS on October 12, 2014, 03:45:40 PM
These two are from 2003 featuring the USS Tarawa, LHA-1, now decommissioned.  Primitive camera, primitive weather.

Here are some CH-46 operations on the flight deck of the USS Germantown circa 1993, somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Primitive camera (film!) and camera operator!
www.roxphotography.com

Joe Copalman

The wires in the shot can be forgiven, as you were technically on LSD when you shot these.   ;D
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Nice photographs Dave. Are these scans of prints or negatives? What a great experience it must have been for you. "Months at a time, out to sea, hardworking, robust, young men, in the prime of their life, at the peak of their natural appetites, desires, their god- given, hormonal instincts..."  :o  ;D

Can you guess the movie?
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Dave S.

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on October 14, 2014, 03:06:35 PM
Nice photographs Dave. Are these scans of prints or negatives? What a great experience it must have been for you. "Months at a time, out to sea, hardworking, robust, young men, in the prime of their life, at the peak of their natural appetites, desires, their god- given, hormonal instincts..."  :o  ;D

Can you guess the movie?

Jeff,

LOL, had to Google that one.  Which makes sense, since I've not see that movie.  Let me just say, we made numerous port calls around the Pacific Rim on that cruise.   ;)

The images are photos of prints I had made when I had the film developed.  Generally in the 4x6 sized range.  This was way back in the day, primitive photog with primitive gear.

Joe's LSD comment gave me a chuckle too.  For those that may not get the LSD reference.  The USS Germantown is a Landing Ship Docking, and it's naval designation is LSD-42.

www.roxphotography.com

Dave S.

...and I had a go at removing two of the more offending wires, but leaving most in place.
www.roxphotography.com

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.