Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

Thanks Harvey.  Me too!  It's fascinating what you come across when you take the roads less travelled.  In this case int was historic Route 66 in New Mexico.

Brian Corbett

Yabba Dabba Doo
Fun with filters on this one. This was from a cool beach in Newport, OR that was at the base of Yaquina Head comprised of black stones.
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Brian Corbett

Whale of a View
A California Gray Whale (can you find it?) cruises around a little inlet along the OR coast as some real estate I'd love to own watches on.
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Joe Copalman

New lens, new ride.

In the tradition of modern giftgiving, I surprised my wife with a Lensbaby Composer from her for my birthday last month.  I had borrowed James O'Rear's Lensbaby 3G several years ago.  It was fun, but I struggled with it.  It wasn't just a manual-aperture lens - the apertures were metal disks that you had to swap in and out of the lens itself.  For those unfamiliar with Lensbabies, they make several tilt-shift type lenses that have a focal 'sweet spot' that you can move around the frame, with anything outside of that sweet spot getting progressively more out-of-focus outside of it.  The Composer series is an update on the 3G, with a family of swappable optic, many of which have adjustable apertures, meaning no more swapping metal disks out.  I chose the 'Sweet 50' optic, and have been loving this combo so far.

I also had to get a new (used) car this past weekend, as the transmission on my '04 Impala was going kaput and the money spent to rebuild it would be better spent on a newer car.  So here is the wheel of my '16 Malibu, shot through my Lensbaby composer. 

Really looking forward to using this lens with some aviation subjects. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Paul Larson

Sorry to hear about your 04 Impala Joe. The good news is your photograph "New lens, new ride" is sterling.

Paul Larson

Matt Ottosen

Rylan and I recently returned from a week in Ireland.  Such a beautiful country with some of the nicest, most friendly people we have ever met.  If you ever have the opportunity to go, I suggest you take it.

Due to self-imposed luggage constraints, due to a 130 minute (90 minutes after arrival delay) layover at London's Heathrow Airport (had to go from British Airways at T5 to Air Canada at T2), Rylan and I only took carryon luggage.  This meant that I had to downsize my camera.  Instead of taking my normal Nikon D7000 DSLR, I only took my Nikon COOLPIX P900.  While limited with with the P900, this was my first true test with it and I must say that I am very impressed with its "limited" ability.

The Oliver St. John Gogarty
Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland

Blarney Castle
Blarney, Ireland

Ha'penny Bridge
River Liffey, Dublin, Ireland
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Matt Ottosen

Two of the most memorable things I saw while in Ireland were in the Titanic Quarter in Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.

Titanic Slipway
This is where Titanic was actually built and from where she was first launched into the water..  The blue lighted outline represents Titanic's main deck, and the lamp posts represent the stanchions of Arrol Gantry, one of the world's largest cranes.  I have always loved Titanic history, so visiting this spot was an absolutely incredible experience.  Also, Titanic Belfast is the #1 tourist attraction in all of Europe, surpassing the Eiffel Tower sometime last year.

HMS Caroline
HMS Caroline is one of eight C-class light-cruisers that were ordered under the Admiralty's 1913-1914 construction programme. Work began on 28th January 1914 at Cammell Lairds shipyard, Birkenhead and the ship was launched on 21st September of the same year, and commissioned on 4th December. During her career, Caroline protected trade by undertaking regular North Sea patrols in WW1 and, later on, convoy screening. She saw action at the Battle of Jutland, the only major naval action of WW1.

Also, Rylan found six four-leaf clovers while we were in Ireland, she found four of them while we were visiting Titanic Belfast.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Ned Harris

Very interesting, Matt. Thanks for sharing the history behind these images.
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Ned Harris

Sandhill Cane calling in flight. Bosque del Apache, NWR. 11/26/18.
_31A0559 Sandhill Crane calling in flight by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Anna M. Wood

Well done with the Ireland imagery Matt....

Ned Harris

Sandhill Cranes. Bosque del Apache NWR. 11/26/18.
_31A1217 Sandhill Cranes by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Brian Corbett

Wonderful shots from Ireland, Matt. I concur... Of all the countries I've visited, Ireland has been my favorite, by far.

Inverted Sky Images

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Ned Harris on December 03, 2018, 04:51:17 AM
Sandhill Cranes. Bosque del Apache NWR. 11/26/18.

Love the silhouette of the cranes Ned....

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Ned Harris on December 02, 2018, 06:20:55 AM
Very interesting, Matt. Thanks for sharing the history behind these images.
Thanks Ned!  The history in Ireland is amazing.

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on December 02, 2018, 07:05:11 PM
Well done with the Ireland imagery Matt....
Thanks Anna!  I'm pretty amazed at how well the Nikon COOLPIX P900 did.

Quote from: Brian Corbett on December 03, 2018, 09:26:27 AM
Wonderful shots from Ireland, Matt. I concur... Of all the countries I've visited, Ireland has been my favorite, by far.
Thanks Brian!  Out of three trips to Europe, I have never been to the same place twice (other than airports).  But, Rylan and I are already talking about our next trip to Dublin City.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ