Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Matt Ottosen

Guineafowl Puffer
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Scott Youmans

View from Olana - This was taken during April of 1998 with an inexpensive and tiny Japanese 35mm camera called the Samoca 35 III. Black and white film.  I bought it at an antique store in Glens Falls NY for maybe 10 or 12 bucks.  Taken at the former home of a famous American landscape painter named Frederic Edwin Church who built the house in the mid-eighteen hundreds. It's now a state historic site.  The view is looking southwest over the Hudson River about halfway between NYC and Albany.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

The Samoca 35 III.  Quite piece of technology!  Not a bad little lens 50mm.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

What a super image Scott and a very cool camera. Never heard of the Olana before, but she sure did you proud on that image. Tri-X?

I went to the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona on Friday. A terrific show, but not the best venue for quality image making (crud lighting, crowds, tons of "stuff" in the way, etc). Here is a photo I took of one of my favorite hot rods - Bombshell Betty. A 1952 Buick Super Regal that set a land speed record at Bonneville for the XO/GCC class of 165.38 MPH. Betty runs 320ci straight-8 cylinder Buick engine. The wild looking intake covers a pair of Holley 2 barrels that feed Betty when she gets hungry and wants to go fast. While I enjoyed the entire show, the dry lake bed racers are my favorites. Good 'ol American ingenuity, craftsmanship, and problem solving is on display in large measure with these machines. The only true common thread is "going fast".

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jeff.  Just to clarify, Olana was the name of the house from where the photo was taken.  Camera is a Samoca 35 III.  Not sure of the film type. I'd have to dig out the neg.

In regard to Bombshell Betty, what a machine!  It even retains the classic Buick portholes.  The intake for the carbs looks like a some kind of ramjet.

When I was growing up here in Phoenix one of my grade school friend's father had a Bonneville racer with four V-8s.  The thing was quite large with the driver sitting in the middle with two V-8s in the front and two in the back.  Super streamlined red body with a little bump in the middle for the windshield.  I seem to recall it would go about 350mph.  One night they had it on the trailer and a tire burst.  It blew out a big part of their redwood fence.

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

San Xavier del Bac
White Dove of the Desert

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Scott Youmans

The Dog Couple - Block Island, RI, 7/2003 (EOS-10D, 75-300mm IS)
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Titan Missile Museum
Cableway
This is the cableway (hallway) that leads from the Launch Control Center to the Titan II.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jay Beckman

Col Jon "Huggy" Huggins parking a Beale T-38 at Chino a few years back...
Attitude Is Everything!

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Matt Ottosen

San Xavier del Bac
White Dove of the Desert

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jay Beckman

Now, if I can figure out how to do this with an aircraft...

Before .. "Day"

After .. "Evening"
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Ned Harris

Juvenile Dark-morph Ferruginous Hawk. Santa Cruz Flats. 1/26/14.

A92W4877 Juvenile Dark-morph Ferruginous Hawk by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Matt Ottosen

Hummingbird
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Old "hippy" shooter channels Timothy O'Leary & Jimmy Hendrix to achieve some WILD PANNING!

This is the result of my effort to pan with an F-16 launching at Luke with full AB in total darkness. I was panning from an anchored position atop my tripod. I panned for the entire departure sequence and then left the camera static until the exposure was completed. It was a 20-second exposure. The bright white light is the afterburner. I can explain why all the other lights "smeared" the way they did and the far background (i.e. trees, lights, etc) at the top of the frame stayed nearly static. The only post processing of this image was to reduce some noise and minor detail adjustment.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ