News:

In Memory of David Loera
1974 - 2024

Main Menu

This one or that one?

Started by Joe Copalman, February 20, 2014, 11:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Was trying to get caught up on a lot of shooting I did last year and came across this shot from San Diego.  When I started working on it, I went for a balanced, centered crop, but then I noticed that I lost a lot of the cool details in the background - unique roofs, palm trees, sailboat masts, the harbor - all the details that give it a solid sense of place.  Not sure I'm too crazy about how low in-frame the aircraft is in the second shot though.  Anyway, any thoughts on the framing?  Top?  Bottom?  Neither? 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I'm actually partial to the second one as I think the boats give it a sense of place...

I would, however, trim off just a little more at the bottom to eliminate that little crooked slide of darker taxiway shoulder.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Jay Beckman on February 21, 2014, 12:43:37 AM
I'm actually partial to the second one as I think the boats give it a sense of place...

I would, however, trim off just a little more at the bottom to eliminate that little crooked slide of darker taxiway shoulder.

I concur with Jay's assessment that image #2 has greater interest with the background (i.e. tile roofs and sailboat masts). That being said, I'd do the opposite of Jay's recommendation. I'd re-frame the image to take a tad more off the top. I don't think you need much room from the tops of the palm trees to the top of the frame. That would move the Airbus a smidgen more towards the center. The darker taxiway shoulder asphalt can be cloned away if distracting.

Another approach would be to go with more of a square crop and get both foreground and background. Thus getting the centered/balanced look you were originally seeking; however, in a funky "Hasselblad-like" format.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Not to go all "Point / Counterpoint" here, but IMO, the area beyond the boats adds depth and while maybe I'd burn it down some, I'd certainly keep it...  ;D

Jeff?   ;)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Good suggestions.

Jeff, I already went with a squarer format by cropping it at a 5:7 ratio rather than 2:3 to get more of the background in.  Cloning out the taxiway nonsense in the right foreground was my initial plan were I to proceed with that crop.  That said, I took another stab at this before zonking out in a sea of my own drool at my computer desk last night with a 2:3 crop that both eliminates the taxiway crud in the foreground and some of the negative space outside.  I typically HATE the airplane-at-the-bottom shots with nothing but sky taking up the top 3/5ths or more of an image, but I think in this case, the textures of the background make that not only justifiable, but desireable.  Will post a final shot later tonight if'n I don't drown in a drool-puddle.

Thanks for the feedback!
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Jay Beckman on February 21, 2014, 01:53:33 PM
Not to go all "Point / Counterpoint" here, but IMO, the area beyond the boats adds depth and while maybe I'd burn it down some, I'd certainly keep it...  ;D

Jeff?   ;)

I concur Jay that the background adds depth and keeping it adds much to the image. I was just trying to squeeze some "bottom" frame real-estate back into the image by cropping the palm trees a tad closer to the top. The more I think about it; probably a minuscule gain at best. At the end of the day, it may be a situation where POV restricts having the great background and centering the Airbus. The lower framing of the Airbus is not distracting or detrimental for me.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ