Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Just sent a polite but firm email demanding the image be removed within 24 hours or I would pursue a DCMA takedown as well as contact their site's sponsors letting them know that they are confirmed as having engaged in the theft of intellectual property and that they should reconsider their sponsorship of the site.  

Thanks for the heads-up.  Y'all might want to check their site for any of your shots.  None of the photos I saw on the site are credited to any photographer, and when you click on them, they take you to a larger version hosted on their site, so there's not even any click-through traffic being generated here.  They also host ads on their site, meaning they are getting paid for displaying the work of uncredited photographers who most likely never gave consent for their images to be used.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Well, that was easy.  Editor removed the photo and apologized. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Did a little C.S.I. type work after the editor told me they found the image on "social media" with no image credit.  What I discovered was a lesson in setting parameters for "personal use." 

Some of you may remember about four years ago when Andy's son made several videos he posted to YouTube that included several of my images of his dad's plane.  I talked with Andy about this and wound up sending him some full-res images of him flying his Pitts "for personal use."  This was the only condition of giving him the images, with no definite parameters or limits set on how he could use them.  This was before I started charging for images and including licensing agreements with them if they're being transferred electronically or on a disc.

Apparently his interpretation of personal use included posting my shots on several of the pilot forums he is active on without proper image credit.  Four years ago, I may have been cool with this, but now it kind of rubs me the wrong way, and it led to unauthorized commercial use by a third-party, which I am decidedly uncool with.   

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ