News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Space Shuttle Discovery headed for a landing at Edwards tonight (9/11/09)

Started by Dave S., September 11, 2009, 01:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave S.

Gents,

I thought Matt had posted something on this yesterday, but I can't locate it.  Just caught the NASA website, where they've announced that Discovery will be landing at Edwards AFB tonight.  Although the chances are slim (like 1,000,000 to 1), "...there's still a chance..." the SCA might stop for fuel/weather somewhere in Az during the trip back to Florida.  Also, if Matt has any luck, maybe he'll catch it during his awesome trip.

"Mission Control has decided to target Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., for today's landing..."

Read the rest here:  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Is this something you can track on Flightaware since there's only 2 SCAs (N911NA and N905NA)? I've never even thought about "chasing" this event so just thinking out loud.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Dave S.

Hmmmm, El Paso...that's one worth pondering.  What are the conditions at Edwards like?  Would that be a better location/opportunity than El Paso?  I've not been to either, but both are 'about' a six hour drive, true?

Too bad I've not stayed current, or we could rent a plane to El Paso...

Like James, just thinking out loud...

Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Matt Ottosen

Mission Control has given space shuttle Discovery a "go" for the deorbit burn. The burn lasts three to four minutes, slowing Discovery enough to begin its descent. The deorbit burn will occur at 7:47 p.m. EDT, leading to an 8:53 p.m. EDT landing at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.

You guys should come to Edwards.  You could visit me too!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

NASA911 on FlightAware.  Access is better at El Paso than at Edwards. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

I've only stopped through there to grab breakfast back in '98 when I was on tour w/my old band. 

Very tempting, especially since this will be the third "last ferry flight of the Space Shuttle, ever" in the past six months.  Ken Shanaberger is out there, as is our friend Robert who is stationed at Fort Bliss.  Last time, the shuttle overnighted there. 

Really one of those times where having a really good friend who is a pilot would come in handy.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Just got word from Bill McCarroll (one of our Sponsored Members), Discovery is scheduled to depart Edwards this Friday.  He was able to obtain press credentials and will be covering this for the base newspaper and website.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ