Tucson International Airport (TUS, KTUS)

Started by Matt Ottosen, September 02, 2009, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Janes

Quote^^^^ Heck of a catch Bill. Wondered if they'd be flying the Scorpion ever since Chris Janes gave us the "heads-up". Scott Youmans and I were talking about this aircraft earlier in the week. Apparently, there are concerns that having the engine intakes in their current location behind the leading edge of the wing could inhibit optimal aerodynamic performance. I'm not sure who the ultimate user/customer will be for this platform, but the rear set would be a great location for some A2A photography. Part of me expects that wing to sweep back like the F-14

+1 on the catch Bill. I had camera in hand and getting ready to walk out to catch some static shots of it but in standard fashion I was pulled back into the hangar for work.
I had the chance to talk with the test pilots the day they arrived and was able to walk around the jet (camera at home.. :-[ :-[) The airplane is designed for a surveillance platform with long loiter times. CIA or CBP as customers maybe?? The bottom of the aircraft has a few compartments that will hold a 15" FLIR or Wescam MX-15 IR Camera. It's kind of a frankenairplane, engines and components are basically from different lines of Cessna business jets. The plane can supposedly take off and fly for 150 miles loiter for four hours and fly back 150 miles. In the coming months there will be a speed brake installed in between the tails much like an F-15. It's interesting that Cessna is trying to get into the manned surveillance market considering the technology is headed towards unmanned UAV's. The day I looked at it there were hard points under the wing so it would appear a few guided weapons could be mounted to the wing.

bilwor

Thanks Chris for all the update info.
bill word
bill word
Tucson, AZ

John B.

Fantastic catch, Bill.  Very exciing to see!

bilwor

bill word
Tucson, AZ

bilwor

TUS 10/23/14
McDonnell Douglas A-4N "Skyhawk" (14379)(USN 159051)(N267WL)(Advanced Training Systems International Corp)(Formerly Israeli Air Force)

McDonnell Douglas A-4N Skyhawk USN 159051 N267WL b by Bill Word, on Flickr
McDonnell Douglas A-4N Skyhawk USN 159051 N267WL d by Bill Word, on Flickr
bill word
Tucson, AZ

bilwor

bill word
Tucson, AZ

bilwor

Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow sn008 RSAF 99-2057   TUS 10/23/14

Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow sn008 RSAF 99-2057 a by Bill Word, on Flickr
bill word
Tucson, AZ

John B.

The AH-64s have been out and about quite a bit lately.  Nice shot!

Ned Harris

Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Barry Griffiths

Hey, Bill ............ you have been posting some superb shots from Tucson these past few days. The images of the Skyhawk are outstanding. Congrats!
Barry Griffiths
Tucson, Arizona & Waterloo, Ontario

Scott Youmans

Wow Bill, love those Skyhawk shots, Apache too!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

bilwor

bill word
Tucson, AZ

bilwor

What goes around, comes around

TUS 10/16/14 Bombardier CRJ-701ER (10010)(N223AG)(Alaska-Horizon
What goes around, comes around by Bill Word, on Flickr
bill word
Tucson, AZ

bilwor

Bombardier CRJ-200ER cn7518 N429SW American Eagle  TUS 10/13/14

Bombardier CRJ-200ER cn7518 N429SW American Eagle b by Bill Word, on FlickrUS 10/13/14US 10/13/14
bill word
Tucson, AZ

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: bilwor on November 01, 2014, 08:04:56 PM
Bombardier CRJ-200ER cn7518 N429SW American Eagle  TUS 10/13/14

Cool shot Bill....  I like the rocky background.   :)